Cross country moving fairly large gun collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best/safest way to transport a significant amount of firearms across several state lines when relocating/moving to a new home? I'm contemplating moving back to Ohio from Oklahoma, but I'm concerned about being pulled over by various states' police force(s) who may be inclined to confiscate my firearms/ammo (and/or knives/cutting/chopping instruments) for their own personal benefit.

I was thinking about using one of those shipping container services where I pack it and I lock it (and only I have a key) while they transport it to my new home and park it in the driveway for me. Has anyone ever used this kind of service?

I suppose I watch too many YouTube videos where the police (usually highway patrol) make up bogus reasons to pull people over and coerce them into agreeing to vehicle searches or call in drug sniffing dogs and force the dogs to false alert on the vehicle so they can search and when they find nothing in the end they drive off leaving all the guy's belongings strewn all over the roadside and their car seats slit open in multiple spots where they probed for 'hidden drugs.' Of course the police mostly target vehicles with out-of-state tags.
Your pobably talking about POD's. They set the container in your yard, you fill it and they transport it.
Probably pretty expensive.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the best/safest way to transport a significant amount of firearms across several state lines when relocating/moving to a new home? I'm contemplating moving back to Ohio from Oklahoma, but I'm concerned about being pulled over by various states' police force(s) who may be inclined to confiscate my firearms/ammo (and/or knives/cutting/chopping instruments) for their own personal benefit.

I was thinking about using one of those shipping container services where I pack it and I lock it (and only I have a key) while they transport it to my new home and park it in the driveway for me. Has anyone ever used this kind of service?

I suppose I watch too many YouTube videos where the police (usually highway patrol) make up bogus reasons to pull people over and coerce them into agreeing to vehicle searches or call in drug sniffing dogs and force the dogs to false alert on the vehicle so they can search and when they find nothing in the end they drive off leaving all the guy's belongings strewn all over the roadside and their car seats slit open in multiple spots where they probed for 'hidden drugs.' Of course the police mostly target vehicles with out-of-state tags.
I used pack rat, which is the same as pods. Packed most of the guns in the safe with foam to keep them from rattling around. It was the first thing in the container. ARs and pistols went in my truck and wife's car respectively and went into the hotel while we slept.
Your pobably talking about POD's. They set the container in your yard, you fill it and they transport it.
Probably pretty expensive.
Significantly cheaper than U haul. Like thousands, plus didn't have to buy gas for the truck while towing a car. Also they store it so you dont have to unpack into a storage facility if you are not sure where you are landing

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel with a lot of my firearms. I pull a fifth wheel to every job site I go to. Firearms is my hobby. I even build them in a state I’m not from. I even have my 50 cal with me sometimes. I just put them under the bed of my camper and go. Hell I’ll even pull my fifth wheel through Chicago. Just be picky about where you stop. Never been stopped knock on wood. I know several people that do this. Just don’t speed or do anything that is against the law and you’re fine. If you want me to transport them for you. Let me know😁

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...

Surely those stories are true...they were on the internet.
When they include police video obtained via lawsuit as well as personal video of the victim (who sometimes wins the lawsuit) it's hard not to believe it. Plus, I have personally seen a car being searched outside Chattanooga Tennessee where I drove back by about an hour or so later and the poor guy was all alone in the dark trying to reload all his belongings back into his car/trunk (which is where I got the "strewn all over the side of the road" reference)...

Also, my younger brother got pulled over in Florida a few years back and when the police found two loose .22 bullets he said they just about tore his truck apart trying to find the pistol they were sure was in there somewhere - apparently they didn't believe him when he said his .22 RIFLE was at home...

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used pack rat, which is the same as pods. Packed most of the guns in the safe with foam to keep them from rattling around. It was the first thing in the container. ARs and pistols went in my truck and wife's car respectively and went into the hotel while we slept.

Significantly cheaper than U haul. Like thousands, plus didn't have to buy gas for the truck while towing a car. Also they store it so you dont have to unpack into a storage facility if you are not sure where you are landing
Do you remember if Pack Rat had a rule against moving guns/ammo?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal law allows interstate transport of firearms from one place where you lawfully own them to another where you can lawfully own them.

Basically, in addition to the above provisions, the guns must be: inaccessible from the passenger compartment (or stored in a locked container), unloaded, any ammunition should be stored separately.

When they include police video obtained via lawsuit as well as personal video of the victim (who sometimes wins the lawsuit) it's hard not to believe it. Plus, I have personally seen a car being searched outside Chattanooga Tennessee where I drove back by about an hour or so later and the poor guy was all alone in the dark trying to reload all his belongings back into his car/trunk (which is where I got the "strewn all over the side of the road" reference)...

OK... So you saw it one time and you have no other context of what happened. And certainly no one on YouTube ever lies...or at least posts sensational type stuff for added views and $$.

How many tens (or hundreds) of thousands of people go about their business every single day transporting firearms in their car and don't get robbed by the police. For all you know the cops were helping the guy change a tire and had to leave for something else. Regardless...your initial post referenced police forcibly taking your belongings for personal enrichment. I'm thinking you have better odds of being bit by a shark in OK than having that happen.

I'm not saying that police misconduct is unheard of. But what you're worried about is likely next to non-existent.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel with a lot of my firearms. I pull a fifth wheel to every job site I go to. Firearms is my hobby. I even build them in a state I’m not from. I even have my 50 cal with me sometimes. I just put them under the bed of my camper and go. Hell I’ll even pull my fifth wheel through Chicago. Just be picky about where you stop. Never been stopped knock on wood. I know several people that do this. Just don’t speed or do anything that is against the law and you’re fine. If you want me to transport them for you. Let me know😁
"Just don’t speed or do anything that is against the law and you’re fine." Only thing is, on many videos it's obvious that people get pulled over quite often for bogus "following too close" or "tires touching white lines too often" - while police dash cams show people driving steady and/or not following too close (which is hard to tell on a camera sometimes) which jury can decide makes the stop illegal to begin with. Recently a federal judge put the entire state police on a kind of "probation" for routinely violating people's rights using what they called the "Kansas two-step" (I think Texas and a few others use the same scam) trick to prolong traffick stops so they had more of a chance to find reasons to search people's cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom