Custom Rifle Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_rae

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, so let me know if I should move it. I have never built a custom rifle before. I shoot a stock 30-06 now, but honestly it is just not that fun to shoot. I am wanting to build something for medium range hunting but also fun for targets. After reading the details of some the builds on here, I am at a loss of where to even start with all the choices that are available. Any suggestions this group might have on where to start would be appreciated. Looking at 243 or 270, but open to the suggestions for others as well. Thanks in advance OSA members!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what action you have or if you reload but if I was going to build on a long action with a ~.470 bolt face I would run a .280, .280AI, or a 6.5x55 Sweede. With good brass and high BC bullets available for both long range target/hunting there is not much to dislike. Recoil is very manageable and you can take anything up to and including moose.

There are several good and great custom builders around (Jon Beanland in Gould OK and Steve Baldwin in Jones OK) are some and there are others outside the state. If you will give more info on your budget, primary rifle use, action type (Rem, Win, Savage, etc) I can give you more things to ponder.

I've been where you are now and worked through the process. It's not difficult but it can be time consuming and expensive.

t_rae

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Jcann! I don't reload yet, but want to get into that too. I am going with the Rem action. This being my first build I am going to start off with a lower budget to use as a baseline to establish likes/dislikes. I am leaning towards the Rem 700 ADL Varmint in .243 since there are plenty of aftermarket parts available. Any more advice?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With your background and needs - I would start with 6.5 Creed Savage, upgrade as/if needed. You can either buy a complete rifle, or buy a base model and use it as a foundation; best part you don't need to wait/pay a gunsmith for most if not all modifications.

With 6.5Creed, you can go through a few hundred rounds of very high quality factory ammo - excellent practice + brass for reloading.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what you want to do and yes it can be done but depending on what you consider to be "lower budget" will probably be the determining factor. The expense alone of a new barrel plus labor cost to thread/chamber barrel and true action would pay for a Savage like MoBoost suggested in 6.5 Creed. A 6.5 Creed will do anything you want it to do and barrel life will be longer than a 243.

The purpose of building custom is to get something that meets the individuals needs and expectations in purpose, quality, and accuracy. This is why the majority of us that have built customs rifles reload. Factory ammo generally doesn't get us where we want to be. This is another reason I agree with MoBoost, there is great factory match grade ammo for a 6.5 creed from both Hornady and Winchester.

If your hearts set on a 243 using a Rem long action the first thing you need to do is put to rest the idea of "lower budget" build unless your lower budget is less than mine. Here are just a few of the costs to do what you want to do. Naturally its dependent upon who does the work.

Barrel (1:8 twist, shooting 95-105gr bullets) $350
Thread, chamber, and crown barrel $350-$450
Action and bolt truing $250
Bottom metal?? $130-$450
Muzzle break?? $180
Scope rail $50-$200
Stock/chassis $250-$1,000
Stock bedding $200-$320
Ceratoke $250
Reloading equipment/supplies $$$ (you will want to reload for a 243 to get desired results)
Scope $$$-$,$$$
Bipod (Harris or Atlas) $100-$280

I had my rifle built off an existing action using the "lower budget" method by GA Precision and still spent over $2,000. I was already set up to reload and had a scope so I didn't have a lot of expense there.

If I were you and wanted to buy once cry once using a Remington long action I would learn to reload and build a 6.5x55 Swede. I would run a 1:8 twist 26" barrel shooting 140gr bullets at +/- 2,900fps. It's a great round that most Americans don't think of. You'll get good barrel life, moderate recoil, and a proven long range target/hunting chambering.

If you don't want to spend the funds yet test the waters so to speak, buy a Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady ammo and shoot the crap out of it while learning to shoot further and how to reload.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, I'd go with .308 but .243 ain't bad either. A good stock to look at is a HS Precision stock or McMillan.
Other than that, that's all I know on building a custom bolt gun.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is your first, go the 243/308 route. The 6.5 is nice, but since you don't reload or know what caliber you want, choose a caliber you can pick off the shelf easily. You may decide you don't like the rifle, the caliber or have the ability to devote the time.

Reaction score
I would also try to steer you towards the 6.5 creedmoor. The availability of ammo is there, The accuracy is awesome great bullet selection. The 243 is nice also but tends to be a barrel burner and also with the 243. factory twist rates tend to suit more of the lighter varmint flavor or bullets. And when you do get into the longer heavier long range 6mm bullets you take up a lot of real estate in the case which lead to not being able to seat the close to the lands or the rifling because the round wont fit into the magazine. The 308 is a decent medium range round. But it is a big ole lobbing wind sail if you ask me. The 6.5 creed is hard to beat out of a factory gun and factory ammo.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start at your budget first then your target range.
Custom rifles are fantastic tools but not a tool that is right for everyone. You may be perfectly joyful with putting a factory action/barrel in a chassis or stock and putting more into a quality optic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom