Dan Wesson 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these pistols? I have been considering a v bob commander for carry, looks like a pretty sweet pistol. Thoughts?

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3. Once you own one you'll find it difficult to want or shoot any other 1911. Too bad NO ONE stocks any in OK. I'm have one of my CBOBs Black Nitride treated right now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna disagree with the post above. First, they're really nice but not the end all be all of 1911s. They used to be the deal in the market but now they've increased their prices to the $1500 range. In fact in their current price range you're better off getting a Les Baer. Second, 2nd hand Rose in Tulsa is a dealer for them and had a few in stock before Christmas.

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna disagree with the post above. First, they're really nice but not the end all be all of 1911s. They used to be the deal in the market but now they've increased their prices to the $1500 range. In fact in their current price range you're better off getting a Les Baer. Second, 2nd hand Rose in Tulsa is a dealer for them and had a few in stock before Christmas.

I'll disagree with this post. The Les Baer is a well made gun but primitive in finish to the DWs. There are reports of the finish being very fragile. I called Second Hand Rose in October, November and December to check stock and I was finally told. "We don't have any bobtails and no plans to order any." Does anyone in OK sell Les Baers and do they offer a bobtail? Also if you are shopping used guns a late model $800 PM7 can't be beat for the money.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The TR on here has one. I got to shoot it a few weeks ago right after he had gotten it. It was a very nice shooter. He got his at the new gun counter at Tinker. Said it was a good deal there. He does love his.

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as GC said i love mine and it is a real 1911 sits in my hand nice and solid.. at first the checkering seems a little sharp but it sure keeps the gun still in hand.... the recoil is light to me and almost feels like a nine mm which helped my accurcy a lot.. i carry it all the time now you know its there but its not that combersom that you always want to move it around.....

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as GC said i love mine and it is a real 1911 sits in my hand nice and solid.. at first the checkering seems a little sharp but it sure keeps the gun still in hand.... the recoil is light to me and almost feels like a nine mm which helped my accurcy a lot.. i carry it all the time now you know its there but its not that combersom that you always want to move it around.....

What model do you have, TR? Do you carry IWB or OWB? I carry a G19 in a Milt Sparks SS2 and it's pretty comfortable, but I have been looking at OWB carry with a 1911 for quite a while now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll disagree with this post. The Les Baer is a well made gun but primitive in finish to the DWs. There are reports of the finish being very fragile. I called Second Hand Rose in October, November and December to check stock and I was finally told. "We don't have any bobtails and no plans to order any." Does anyone in OK sell Les Baers and do they offer a bobtail? Also if you are shopping used guns a late model $800 PM7 can't be beat for the money.

Disagree all you like, those that know any better understand the differences. I know you're a DW fanboy, your posts show it, but let's drop the koolaid for a second. If finish is important to you and you can't handle taking care of a blued gun then Baer has been Baercoating or HC'ing guns for some time. Yes you will pay for it but either will last a very long time. Their blued guns will wear if you use them.... here's a Baer after 25K rounds.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=273937&highlight=marine

Newbie superficial comments aside the finish has nothing to do with the gun when it's saving your life and it should last if you're gonna pay $1600-1700 ish for it. Now, obviously this guy doesn't care how his gun looks. It is what it is, a reliable carry gun that works every time and shows an impressive LACK of wear at key points, in which that significance is wasted on some I'm sure.

If someone JUST has to have a bobtail gun then an Ed Brown is not much more than these VBOBs are going for and once again.... is a better platform to go with.

FWIW, I've seen a Kobra Carry after 15K rounds and it was just as impressive.

Dunno what to tell you about Second hand Rose, I saw a Heritage and a VBOB in there before Thanksgiving I believe.

DW bobtails used to be right around $1000 and that was a steal. Not so much now as the cheapest I've seen one is around $1500, with prices up to $1700. At that point it's like paying 50K for a Toyota... might aswell buy the Lexus.

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disagree all you like, those that know any better understand the differences. I know you're a DW fanboy, your posts show it, but let's drop the koolaid for a second. If finish is important to you and you can't handle taking care of a blued gun then Baer has been Baercoating or HC'ing guns for some time. Yes you will pay for it but either will last a very long time. Their blued guns will wear if you use them.... here's a Baer after 25K rounds.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=273937&highlight=marine

Newbie superficial comments aside the finish has nothing to do with the gun when it's saving your life and it should last if you're gonna pay $1600-1700 ish for it. Now, obviously this guy doesn't care how his gun looks. It is what it is, a reliable carry gun that works every time and shows an impressive LACK of wear at key points, in which that significance is wasted on some I'm sure.

If someone JUST has to have a bobtail gun then an Ed Brown is not much more than these VBOBs are going for and once again.... is a better platform to go with.

FWIW, I've seen a Kobra Carry after 15K rounds and it was just as impressive.

Dunno what to tell you about Second hand Rose, I saw a Heritage and a VBOB in there before Thanksgiving I believe.

DW bobtails used to be right around $1000 and that was a steal. Not so much now as the cheapest I've seen one is around $1500, with prices up to $1700. At that point it's like paying 50K for a Toyota... might aswell buy the Lexus.

Thanks for your input GM. I haven't really looked into Les Baer, and the bobtail isn't a must for me. I just need something reliable...finish isn't a big deal, Function over form.

Latest posts

Top Bottom