Dan Wesson 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your input GM. I haven't really looked into Les Baer, and the bobtail isn't a must for me. I just need something reliable...finish isn't a big deal, Function over form.

FWIW, bobtails do conceal better for some people. I just found that in a Milt Sparks VM2 nothing prints with my body type, even full size, so a bob wasn't needed. So for me, I found that the holster was far more important than 1911 mods.

Just understand that I'm not knocking DWs, they are probably the best production 1911s out there next to STI. I'm just saying that they've gotten significantly overhyped so they are now in the custom 1911 price range. They are only making so many VBOBs this year so the price shot up and everyone went nuts trying to find one.

If you really want to price a Les Baer, I'd hit up Proload.com, he has the best prices hands down. I will say that if you search the forums you can find some good deals on a used Baer, Wilson, Brown etc. It's always worked for me anyways.

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, bobtails do conceal better for some people. I just found that in a Milt Sparks VM2 nothing prints with my body type, even full size, so a bob wasn't needed. So for me, I found that the holster was far more important than 1911 mods.

Just understand that I'm not knocking DWs, they are probably the best production 1911s out there next to STI. I'm just saying that they've gotten significantly overhyped so they are now in the custom 1911 price range. They are only making so many VBOBs this year so the price shot up and everyone went nuts trying to find one.

If you really want to price a Les Baer, I'd hit up Proload.com, he has the best prices hands down. I will say that if you search the forums you can find some good deals on a used Baer, Wilson, Brown etc. It's always worked for me anyways.

I checked out that link you posted about the guy that has 25k through his Baer and that kinda has me sold on their reliability factor. As far as the finish goes, thats what Mike is around here for, right?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I checked out that link you posted about the guy that has 25k through his Baer and that kinda has me sold on their reliability factor. As far as the finish goes, thats what Mike is around here for, right?

If you want, look up some of that poster's other threads, he's puts several guns through the wringer.

I will say that Eric Fuson over at Oklahoma Police supply had 80K+ rounds through his Wilson so like I said, many custom 1911s will suit your needs.

and yes.... Mike does AWESOME work. This is a gun he refinished that I no longer own..

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_DSCN3128.jpg

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, if you truly want the best gun to protect your life then a 1911 isn't what you want. With that said I do occasionally carry my 1911s but never when I think I might actually need it. It has nothing about their ability to reliably go bang. It's about draw to shot time. With my Glock 27 or 35 I can consistently draw from concealment and place 3 accurate shots @ 21 ft. In 1.53-1.70 seconds. With a CBOB my best times are in the 1.90 range. With a 5" 1911 I'm lucky to get 2.0 seconds. I'm not trying to sway you from buying a 1911, I just want you to fully realize your options.

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP, if you truly want the best gun to protect your life then a 1911 isn't what you want. With that said I do occasionally carry my 1911s but never when I think I might actually need it. It has nothing about their ability to reliably go bang. It's about draw to shot time. With my Glock 27 or 35 I can consistently draw from concealment and place 3 accurate shots @ 21 ft. In 1.53-1.70 seconds. With a CBOB my best times are in the 1.90 range. With a 5" 1911 I'm lucky to get 2.0 seconds. I'm not trying to sway you from buying a 1911, I just want you to fully realize your options.

Disregard, I don't want to de-rail my own thread...I have familiarized myself with my Glocks for several years now. I am simply looking for a change. I believe any of the aforementioned 1911's will suffice in a self defense situation with adequate training.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This may be your case but it isn't true for others.

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3. Once you own one you'll find it difficult to want or shoot any other 1911. Too bad NO ONE stocks any in OK. I'm have one of my CBOBs Black Nitride treated right now.

I owned 2 and now I would rather get an Ed Brown instead of DW. After I bought a NIB CBOB that was out of spec and their CS treated me like crap.

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DW bobtails used to be right around $1000 and that was a steal. Not so much now as the cheapest I've seen one is around $1500, with prices up to $1700. At that point it's like paying 50K for a Toyota... might aswell buy the Lexus.

I wouldn't really call it a steal when they use a commander slide on a true gov't frame. The gun I got also come with a 7lb trigger. I did paid under $1K for it NIB tho.:sunbath:

ridetime

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The examples that I have seen/owned are decent. The issue I have with Dan Wesson, is "who is Dan Wesson"? They have been bounced around like a step child. CZ currently "owns" the name but who will it be next year? Also, what is up with all the discontinued products? They offer like...2 or 3 pistols at this time??

I would rather put my money in a SA TRP level product that I know will be around and offers a lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom