Dan Wesson 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That thing looks amazing. I'm assuming you carry a 1911? Do any Tulsa shops stock Baer's or other customs?

I generally carry a custom 1911 built by Barry Greyson. Every once and awhile OPS will get in a Wilson and Sportsworld an Ed Brown. If you're ever free on a Sunday I can meet you at Red Castle and you can shoot any of mine to see what you like..... as soon as I get moved in to my house that is. :D

to the OP, if you truly want the best gun to protect your life then a 1911 isn't what you want.

You're just full of misinformation aren't ya?? :D

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wessons popularity is really amazing, and its based greatly on marketing. Price it higher, it must be worth more.

One day though, Fusion will catch up with them.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my Glock 27 or 35 I can consistently draw from concealment and place 3 accurate shots @ 21 ft. In 1.53-1.70 seconds. With a CBOB my best times are in the 1.90 range. With a 5" 1911 I'm lucky to get 2.0 seconds. I'm not trying to sway you from buying a 1911, I just want you to fully realize your options.

That's pretty impressive, you're putting 3 shots on target in the amount of time it takes a lot of really decent shooters to draw and get the first shot on target. The fastest that I've ever seen anyone shoot Smoke N Hope at the steel challenge was Traxxis in a couple of sub 2.0 runs and that was from the ready position shooting a .22. Then there was this time that I watched Eric Fuson & Lance Jensen go back and forth on 2 targets and there best times were around 1.08 using speed holsters and Eric's custom gun and that took several attempts. Damn! I'd like to watch you shoot!

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as reliability I shot my first steel challenge couple months ago. I was the only one shooting a 1911. Other guns in the group, Glock, sig, ruger, S&w. I shot the only gun that didn't have a failure of some kind.

Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911, by the way. Just saying....

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I will start off by saying this...........I love the 1911.
I have owned some very nice ones and some sorry ones. Recently I was on the hunt for a nice 1911 after being without a good 1911 of my own for a while. I almost gave in and ordered a Wilson. Fortunately for me I found a 2010 DW Valor for a bit under 1400 out the door. So far I have about a 1000 rds through the Valor and I could not be happier, once I changed the thin grips out. Compared to the Les Baer I had, second hand, I DO have the better pistol with the DW when compared to the example of LB's work. If you want to shoot my DW Valor sometime get a hold of me and we can meet up.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
n my view the Dan Wesson Pointmans are undervalued and under appreciated. I have two blued pre-CZ on 45 ACP and 9mm & 40 S&W along with a newer PM-9. Great guns with excellent factory triggers, etc.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pointman66, DW should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Les Baer. I have owned and carried a DW, and although they are a nice gun. They are not a $1500 gun and no where near as good as a Les Baer.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty impressive, you're putting 3 shots on target in the amount of time it takes a lot of really decent shooters to draw and get the first shot on target. The fastest that I've ever seen anyone shoot Smoke N Hope at the steel challenge was Traxxis in a couple of sub 2.0 runs and that was from the ready position shooting a .22. Then there was this time that I watched Eric Fuson & Lance Jensen go back and forth on 2 targets and there best times were around 1.08 using speed holsters and Eric's custom gun and that took several attempts. Damn! I'd like to watch you shoot!

You tellin' stories on me Bigg'en? :)

Let me tell ya, anybody who can draw from a holster and put three shots down range into the berm in under 2 seconds is impressive... let alone to put those three shots on target.

Oh, and it was 5 targets, 5 shots in 1.93 seconds with video to prove! ;)

I hope to drop below 1.90 by Summer time.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go ahead and step to the kool-aid kooler
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Where all the DW fans hang out.

There are some issues with them being really tight.
They did discontinue the CBOB and jack prices up in 2010.

If you can find a used CBOB for $1k you'll get your money's worth. Not a Wilson but much nicer than a Springfield.

I wouldn't rule them out. Check out Fusion though. Former DW guy. I've heard lots of good about them and they'll build to your specs. DW is a production gun.

I have a CBOB and have been very pleased. I did have to send it back due to a tight slide to frame but they took care of the shipping cost and turned it around quick so I'm a satisfied customer. The bobtail is nice for concealment and feels good in the hand.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
fusion is one of those companies that takes other companies stuff and markets them hard as their own.
Its a free country, but they annoy me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom