Dan Wesson 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, 1911's are crap. I mean look they have been making Glocks for 100years, and EVERYONE is making them today cause their such great carry weapons. Come on guys Glock sure has proven it's self, look at how many wars they've been in(WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and countless other little spats). All our Military depended on them for their side arms. Oh crap their I go again getting things messed up. Thats the 1911.:patriot:

Naw, the 1911 IS crap. Like other old, outdated technology invented circa 1911 that no one uses nowadays, such as the hex head (allen) fastener and key, and advanced air-conditioning/humidity systems.

:D

/threadjacking

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I copied this off of a popular 1911 forum. Dave Severns is the poster:
To make some blanket, generalistic observations based upon a bunch of working on and a ton of testing both brands:

. Baer uses good, carbon steel for their slide, frame, and small parts. You want a carbon steel gun, it's a no-brainer.
. Baer SS slide and frame guns are "OK" in comparison, sometimes exhibiting a soft, improperly heat-treated ss small part here and there.
. New DW SS gun slide and frame steel is also forged, and of good quality. Early guns used SS that was a few points too soft for my personal taste.
. DW black guns exhibit a blackening treatment that is light years beyond the frail bluing used by Baer.
. Baers are generally a wee bit more accurate, with a tighter barrel fit
. DWs are generally better finished and more cosmetically attractive. Now, this particular aspect is very subjective. Many would say that the new DW is more "pretty", while the Baer is more "raw and powerful" looking, if you will. Kind of like a Ferrari vs a Big Block Corvette. I personally fall unto this camp, and really like that aspect of the Baer guns.
. New, 2010/2011 DWs use clearly superior small parts, period end of story.
. New DWs typically exhibit clearly superior trigger pull quality and ignition parts.
. Both guns offer reasonable warranty service, with that honored by DW often being a bit more flexible.

Pointman66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't seem to see your point....... one time you are putting down the DW and the next you prase it....... same with the bear........... so just what are you trying to say, the only thing you haven't jumped on is the revolver vs semi auto?

I put down a DW? You are mistaken. I'm sorry if everything has to be black and white for some. That must be frustrating since nothing is.:bighug:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I copied this off of a popular 1911 forum. Dave Severns is the poster:
To make some blanket, generalistic observations based upon a bunch of working on and a ton of testing both brands:

. Baer uses good, carbon steel for their slide, frame, and small parts. You want a carbon steel gun, it's a no-brainer.
. Baer SS slide and frame guns are "OK" in comparison, sometimes exhibiting a soft, improperly heat-treated ss small part here and there.
. New DW SS gun slide and frame steel is also forged, and of good quality. Early guns used SS that was a few points too soft for my personal taste.
. DW black guns exhibit a blackening treatment that is light years beyond the frail bluing used by Baer.
. Baers are generally a wee bit more accurate, with a tighter barrel fit
. DWs are generally better finished and more cosmetically attractive. Now, this particular aspect is very subjective. Many would say that the new DW is more "pretty", while the Baer is more "raw and powerful" looking, if you will. Kind of like a Ferrari vs a Big Block Corvette. I personally fall unto this camp, and really like that aspect of the Baer guns.
. New, 2010/2011 DWs use clearly superior small parts, period end of story.
. New DWs typically exhibit clearly superior trigger pull quality and ignition parts.
. Both guns offer reasonable warranty service, with that honored by DW often being a bit more flexible.

Good posting..... so Baer fits his barrels better and uses better steel as very few are SS. Baer offers his guns in HC or Baercoat if finishes are a problem.

Oh and while Dave is well respected he's a HUGE DW fanboy.... so when he mentions small parts on Baers being inferior..... he's full of it. Because he just said in his holiday shootout... here...... http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555

Let’s look at the FCG next… Very high quality parts here, folks! Hammer, sear, and disconnector are all high-grade tool steel parts, that’ll hold a trigger job for many, many rounds. Hammer strut and disco both show proper clearancing, as with the Valor.
Oh and the Baer outshot the STOCK Valor. :D :D

BrettJ

Ain’t got no gas in it..
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so glad I posted this thread before I bought a DW. I'm not bashing them in any way, but I think a Les Baer is a little more what I was looking for. Thanks for posting the links to that beast!

DWs are nice but once you pice up a Baer and rack the slide you'll see where the extra fitting is. They lock up like a vault.

Quick trivia since nobody answered..... DW gets their frames from Remsport.... who does put out quality. However, Remsport admittedly gets their forgings from Korea. :D DW also supposedly uses Remsport barrels, which no matter how it is spun is a step below Kart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom