Deer rifle for female

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.243 is a good choice, but personally I'd get her a .270. With the .243 she's going to wound quite a few deer if she's not accurate with her shot placement. That may end up turning her off of hunting depending on her personallity.

Coupled with one of the lighter bullets weights, the .270 is a fairly mild recoiler. But it's a lot more versatile with the type and size of the game, and the range you be able to shoot out to. As well as a lot more forgiving on shot placement. Put on a good recoil pad for her and maybe a check pad, and I'll bet she'd be very happy with the .270.

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like both rounds, but I prefer the .270 overall. Less recoil, cheaper ammo, and IMO it shoots flatter on shots under 300 yards. I enjoy shooting the .270, plenty of power and a mild recoil. I know some buddy's that swear by the 7mm-08 but they all hand load their rounds. I think most of them use a 150g bullet, and they load them pretty hot. With store bought ammo .270 is the clear cut winner, IMHO of course. If you will be hunting whitetail and mules then get the .270. If you got an elk in your cross hairs you might want the 7mm.

OUPE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you Sanjuro. My thoughts are the .270 ammo will be cheaper and more readily available. The only reason why I am still considering the 7mm-08 is because some of the research I have done, people talk about the recoil being less than the .270. However, that is with a 120 gr bullet I believe. I would think finding 120 grain 7mm-08 rounds might be a tough task, especially since I dont reload.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'll be different. The perfect deer rifle for a woman is a Marlin 1894 carbine in 44 magnum. Put a low power scope on it and a sling and it has everything she would need. Knock-down power, It's light, easy and quick to handle. I'm just impressed you have a wife that's interested. Good Luck

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like both rounds, but I prefer the .270 overall. Less recoil, cheaper ammo, and IMO it shoots flatter on shots under 300 yards. I enjoy shooting the .270, plenty of power and a mild recoil. I know some buddy's that swear by the 7mm-08 but they all hand load their rounds. I think most of them use a 150g bullet, and they load them pretty hot. With store bought ammo .270 is the clear cut winner, IMHO of course. If you will be hunting whitetail and mules then get the .270. If you got an elk in your cross hairs you might want the 7mm.

I'd have to disagree with pretty much EVERYTHING you said, with all due respect.

1) 7mm-08 will have less recoil unless you make reduced loads for 270

2) Ammo is identical in price

3) Zeroed at 200 yards, POI difference @300 will be under 2" - shooting 300+ you just need to know your rifle regardless of MV and BC.

I feel that 270 kicks no different than 30-06; which I find "bearable", not "mild" by any means. 7-08 has a mild kick, and 243 is pleasant. I am a pretty big guy - 6'2 230#, and I judge recoil based on a 60 round 2 hour match ... not hunting 1 round per year: with adrenaline pumping recoil is the last thing you remember; muscles however remember to flinch if recoil was "harsh" during practice.

No doubt 270 will do anything 7-08 can, and it will do it a bit better - I just don't think it's worth the extra 50% more recoil.

Placement>Construction>Caliber

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different loads and bullet grain can dramatically change the way a rifle feels in regards to the recoil. The weight of the rifle plays a role, the stock material, barrel length, etc.... there are just so many variables to consider. That's probably the main reason for our discrepancy.

To me 270 has always felt milder during recoil when using comparable bullet weights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom