Deer rifle for female

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with WFT, I see no reason not to get a lever gun in either 30-30, 357, or 44.

These are all short range calibers. If that's what you want, fine, but I recommend the 7-08. Mine recoils only a little more than my .243. The .270 kicks more than it has any right to. I believe, as stated in an earlier post, that it approaches 30-06 levels of recoil.

My 7-08 is built on a Remington 700 short action. It has a Hogue overmolded stock and a 24 inch barrel. Shoots very straight. Groups at 100 yards with both factory ammo and my reloads are dime size. Ammo is available in lots of places. I reload for about a dozen calibers, but do not have a .270.

A friend of mine shoots a Remington .280 in the semi-auto configuration. She has killed, I think, 16 deer since she started hunting. Small framed woman about five-two, and no spring chicken (hope she doesn't see this . . .) CB

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the thread title: first recommendation is a .243 for general use (and don't load it with 60-70 grain varmint ammo!) For short range use only, then a 30-30 lever action with either a low-power scope (like 1-3X) or a receiver peep sight. The .243 gets a 2-7X or 3-9X variable scope from a reputable maker because it's deadly at 300+ yards with the right ammo and a bit of hold-over.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are all short range calibers. If that's what you want, fine, but I recommend the 7-08. Mine recoils only a little more than my .243. The .270 kicks more than it has any right to. I believe, as stated in an earlier post, that it approaches 30-06 levels of recoil.

My 7-08 is built on a Remington 700 short action. It has a Hogue overmolded stock and a 24 inch barrel. Shoots very straight. Groups at 100 yards with both factory ammo and my reloads are dime size. Ammo is available in lots of places. I reload for about a dozen calibers, but do not have a .270.

A friend of mine shoots a Remington .280 in the semi-auto configuration. She has killed, I think, 16 deer since she started hunting. Small framed woman about five-two, and no spring chicken (hope she doesn't see this . . .) CB

Yes. Many deer are taken at close range.

pingelboy1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i shot a .270 and the recoil on it was fairly close to my 30-06. it is a good bullet though, but there are more shoulder friendly rounds for smaller shooters for sure. just my 2 cents

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with pretty much EVERYTHING you said, with all due respect.

1) 7mm-08 will have less recoil unless you make reduced loads for 270

2) Ammo is identical in price

3) Zeroed at 200 yards, POI difference @300 will be under 2" - shooting 300+ you just need to know your rifle regardless of MV and BC.

I feel that 270 kicks no different than 30-06; which I find "bearable", not "mild" by any means. 7-08 has a mild kick, and 243 is pleasant. I am a pretty big guy - 6'2 230#, and I judge recoil based on a 60 round 2 hour match ... not hunting 1 round per year: with adrenaline pumping recoil is the last thing you remember; muscles however remember to flinch if recoil was "harsh" during practice.

No doubt 270 will do anything 7-08 can, and it will do it a bit better - I just don't think it's worth the extra 50% more recoil.

Placement>Construction>Caliber

I agree with everything you just said. Every load in .270 I've ever shot was punishing compared to .243 and 7-08. Pretty much like shooting my 30-06. If you're going to shoot a .270 for hunting you might as well go with the 30-06. This is the reason I have two rifles in 30-06 and have owned a .243 and a 7-08. I regret selling the last two and don't regret never buying a .270.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good gawd! How many shots are you people taking at a deer before finally hitting it? A woman should be able to hit a deer with any common caliber.

I remember back in the day when I could shoot deer with an old beat up 30-30 and never realize that I fired a round, nowadays I don't worry about recoil as the deer just fall dead at my feet after they get a glimpse of my all tacticool and sh*t rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom