Deer Season 2018 Pics/Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice ones the does eat b
Last day of gun season. Went out with not many expectations of seeing much as the last three days have been dry. No does whatsoever.
About 4:00 6 does were walking across my wheat field toward the neighbors. When they got downwind of me they locked up. So I figured my holdover with the rangefinder and took the shot. Had the scope cranked to 24 power and lost the sight picture after the shot, so grabbed the binocs and counted 5 instead of the original 6. Looking around, saw a patch of white and a leg kick one time. The other does just stood around looking at the one down and finally wandered off.
Taking a pic through the rangefinder confirmed 428 yards. 100 grain SPBT from the .243 WSSM in the AR platform.

bfa99064a37a1024b540d4bacbcaf037.jpg

Looking from the deer back to the blind
fc39654d01e4da4a3c402a5338ab5c7e.jpg

67a57630ef016686bedb8334ff860d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nice shot Dennis

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last day of gun season. Went out with not many expectations of seeing much as the last three days have been dry. No does whatsoever.
About 4:00 6 does were walking across my wheat field toward the neighbors. When they got downwind of me they locked up. So I figured my holdover with the rangefinder and took the shot. Had the scope cranked to 24 power and lost the sight picture after the shot, so grabbed the binocs and counted 5 instead of the original 6. Looking around, saw a patch of white and a leg kick one time. The other does just stood around looking at the one down and finally wandered off.
Taking a pic through the rangefinder confirmed 428 yards. 100 grain SPBT from the .243 WSSM in the AR platform.

Good shooting!!

What kind of velocity do you get from that bullet in that platform??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice shot, Dennis.

You just have to keep fueling the fire for me to build a 243 WSSM, don’t you?
I'm ate up with it in the AR platform. Going to the 88 grain Barnes in the next run of reloads. Close to 3500 fps with only 10" drop at 400 yards with a 100 yd zero. Pretty flat and the bullet will retain real close to 100% of its weight with the solid copper bullets while it does its thing in the body cavity.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that is a lot faster than I expected......thanks for the info.

Actually have room to grow if wanted. The RL-19 gives an additional 100 fps on average with the same pressure as the IMR or varget. I'm showing zero pressure signs on the primer at the current load. With the sharp shoulder, it is pressure sensitive and can rise quickly with a minor variation. With the performance and accuracy I'm getting now, its best to leave alone in the 100 grain. Now on to the 88 grain Barnes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom