Did Some Scouting Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Did some scouting today out at Lexington WMA. It was a beautiful day and I had lots of fun just being outside, what felt like a thousand miles from nowhere.

Best of all, I found what I think will be the perfect hunting ground for Spring 2010 Turkey Season. A wide open field in a hopefully forgotten-about section of the WMA. :) While walking around, I saw tracks galore. Lots of deer and some turkey. I also found a moderate amount of turkey scat throughout the field. I also found a large pile of turkey feathers in one particular spot. They weren't bloody and I didn't see any bones amongst them, so I don't think it was a kill. Maybe a couple of jakes or toms fighting? Not real sure. After picking up a feather to take back to my wife, I scouted around for possible cover locations. I didn't find anything that particularly stood out, so I took an idea from some duck hunters I ran across while archery hunting at Lake Thunderbird last fall. They had built a really nice natural blind on the waters edge out of fallen branches and timber. There was definitely plenty of that around, so I built my own rudimentary, but hopefully effective, blind on the edge of the treeline.

I also found LOTS and LOTS of deer scat in the field. I already know where I'll be going this fall :)

All in all, it was a very productive day. If today was any indication, I think I have a pretty good chance of bagging my first gobbler in two weeks :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were riding ATV's at the Kaw off road area this morning, and saw where the corps were burning off a patch. Turkey love burned off areas as its easy to find bugs. Its only accessable by water or one heck of a long walk but I may have to check it out later in the season.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck to you!

I, too, am gonna try out the turkey hunting thing here in a few weeks. I have a couple spots scouted out. Just hope I don't show up to someone in the same spot. It's weird... the private land I have access to doesn't have ANY turkey sign on it...so I have to resort to public land.

I've been driving everyone within hearing distance of me crazy with the mouth call.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope it all works out for you. I have tried out there the past few years. would have a good plan, but then the youth season dates would turn Lexington upside down. Hopefully you did indeed find a forgotten section out there. If it dosent work out for you head out to Black Kettle. You will see more turkeys than you could imagine.

This is a good set of maps for the area. Good luck to you

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/travel-management/tm_black_kettle/bk_mvum_web_map.pdf

Plinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck!

I almost bagged a gobbler last week when one ran in front of my car on S. Douglas Blvd by Tinker. I've never seen one cross the road, but this guy must have been three feet tall and he was hauling tail like something was after him. Wing span must have been five feet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom