difference between "old style" and "new"Ruger vasquero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought one used. what is the difference between the two? I keep hearing people refer to the old and new styles. any help would be appreciated.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a Ruger Blackhawk that he calls the "old style". He inherited it from his dad. It has no falling block safety. It is unsafe to carry it on a loadedf cylinder due to the fact that a blow to the hammer could cause a discharge. The "new style" Blackhawks have the falling block safetey according to him. If i'm wrong someone please correct me.
Edit note: I dont know if this tidbit applies to the Vacqueros or not. I may be spouting off inappropriately.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a Ruger Blackhawk that he calls the "old style". He inherited it from his dad. It has no falling block safety. It is unsafe to carry it on a loadedf cylinder due to the fact that a blow to the hammer could cause a discharge. The "new style" Blackhawks have the falling block safetey according to him. If i'm wrong someone please correct me.
Edit note: I dont know if this tidbit applies to the Vacqueros or not. I may be spouting off inappropriately.

The "Old Model" you describe is whats known as a three screw frame, which is visable on the right side of the frame. These are the original "Old Models" and unless they have been sent back to Ruger for the upgrade(Its free) they are unsafe to carry with a round under the hammer.

All Vaquero's are safe to carry with a full complement of rounds(6), the difference between the "Old" and "New" Vaquero's is the frame size. The Old Vaqueros are made on the Super Blackhawk size frame, and the New ones are made on the old Blackhawk size frame, which is the reason they now only offer the Vaquero's in .357Mag, and .45LC, and no longer offer it in 44-40, and .44Mag. Plus most all the new model Vaquero's have a reverse pall.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up and hold an "older" vaquero......its a lot heavier than the newer version. I think they slimed them down for the Cowboy Action Shooters.

I bought mine around 199??? 94 or 95?? Can't remember, I did buy it in Bethany at a gun store off 39th/old 66.

Good guns!!

Cohiba

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "Old Model" you describe is whats known as a three screw frame, which is visable on the right side of the frame. These are the original "Old Models" and unless they have been sent back to Ruger for the upgrade(Its free) they are unsafe to carry with a round under the hammer.

All Vaquero's are safe to carry with a full complement of rounds(6), the difference between the "Old" and "New" Vaquero's is the frame size. The Old Vaqueros are made on the Super Blackhawk size frame, and the New ones are made on the old Blackhawk size frame, which is the reason they now only offer the Vaquero's in .357Mag, and .45LC, and no longer offer it in 44-40, and .44Mag. Plus most all the new model Vaquero's have a reverse pall.

Good info, a Vacquero in .357 is on my wish list. This will be very useful information. Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom