Dillion 550B or 650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got started with reloading as well. I spent a lot of time looking at the 550 and the 650. I was told by a few guys to start with a single stage loader, but more time I looked into them I just could not see getting something I was not happy with, then wishing I got the XL650 at a later time. So I made the jump for the XL650 at the start and I am very happy with it.

Mhostetter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the same advice but I knew like you that I'd quickly grow bored with the single stage. I am starting slow I've literally only loaded one round in the four days I've had the dillion.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up with the 550 and now I'm adding additional dies. Can anyone tell me if these will work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242098/lee-deluxe-carbide-4-die-set-45-acp

i would stick with dillon die sets, especially on pistol calibers. the take apart feature, to clean or get out a stuck case, the die locks are great, and the lead in on the die is more aggressive and accommodates faster loading. i tried some others and they seem to limit my speed, and ruined a few cases too. YMMV

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I found when I first began on my 550. I was using it as a single stage at first and had every station set how I wanted, all rounds mic'd where they needed to be.

When I switched to progressive mode I found that my overall length (OAL) was different than running in single stage mode. So if using it as intended as progressive check your die settings with all stages full and see what you get as well.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I found when I first began on my 550. I was using it as a single stage at first and had every station set how I wanted, all rounds mic'd where they needed to be.

When I switched to progressive mode I found that my overall length (OAL) was different than running in single stage mode. So if using it as intended as progressive check your die settings with all stages full and see what you get as well.

Good info. Thank you.

Mhostetter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I discovered that as well and I have also quickly realized that I can "feel" things better when using it as intended.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if you have a progressive press you will find uses for a single stage. Start with a progressive and upgrade to a progressive and a single stage.

I have had my rockchucker since 81 and my Dillon since 86 and just recently upgraded to a progressive, a rockchucker and a lee hand press. It would be nice to have a Dillon 650 for every cartridge you load but it is nice to do some things on a simpler press.

If I get once fired brass I will use a depapping die in my hand press while watching TV. I have used my Dillon rapid trim on my rockchucker. I still have a couple cartridges that I load seldom that I don't have a conversion for the Dillon so I need the RCBS.

It would not be a bad thing to start progressive and get the single stage later. You can get by with doing it all on a progressive.

There are several on this forum that feel more comfortable doing load development on a single stage then doing the progressive thing when they have settled on a load or two.

I have done load development both ways, it will work.

Get the one YOU want to get.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me add my 2 cents.. If I had it to do over, I would buy the 650. I have way too much invested in 550 stuff to change now. The big issue for me is the case feeder. The 550 case feeder is for pistol only and won't handle rifle cases. There are times when I would like to throw the cases in the hopper and load 4 or 5 hundred '06 or 308, but it ain't happening with the 550 case feeder.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me add my 2 cents.. If I had it to do over, I would buy the 650. I have way too much invested in 550 stuff to change now. The big issue for me is the case feeder. The 550 case feeder is for pistol only and won't handle rifle cases. There are times when I would like to throw the cases in the hopper and load 4 or 5 hundred '06 or 308, but it ain't happening with the 550 case feeder.

I started with the a single stage and bought the 550 with two calibres to start. I gradually started getting more conversions for the 550.

I am kinda thinking that a 650 would be nice for my higher volume loads. I have room and a need to add bench space. I have a seldom used shot shell loader that I need to mount and I could build another bench with room for that and a 650.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting into it, but going to be doing quite a bit of reloading for myself and a number of friends who are going to help defray startup costs. I'm thinking I want a 1050 that can autoload every stage for me while I eyeball it all.

I know everyone says to start with a single-stage, or start small, and all that, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a press I'm going to turn around and mothball in a few months.

Why in the world? I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube of the 650 and the 1050... but it just doesn't look like rocket science. And I've known some guys who were really quite simple who managed to do just fine reloading... I don't see what the problem is. Meticulous and patient yes... but not difficult.

Thoughts? Or should I make a new thread on why it's recommended that I don't start off with a high-volume-capable machine?

Latest posts

Top Bottom