Dillion 550B or 650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, when deciding whether to go progressive right off the bat a person needs to understand what they're getting into. Folks also to be honest with themselves about whether they have the technical inclination, the patience, and the attention to detail required for it. And do you shoot enough of a given caliber to justify it? If so it's probably the way to go. It's more complex than single stage but not beyond most people.

The 550 will load a wider range of calibers than any of the other stuff Dillon offers but I think that if everything you might want to load on it is in the 650's range it's a better way to go. As somebody mentioned, the 650 case feeder works for rifle calibers, it auto-indexes, and it can use the powder check. The 650 covers a wider range than the 1050, costs less initially, and is less expensive to set up for other calibers. The 1050 does swage the primer pockets on military cases, if one really needs that, but other than that, I don't see what it does that the 650 can't.

ETA: Some single stage gear is still worthwhile at some point for working up loads or for calibers that are used in small volume. It doesn't have to be expensive stuff, Lee's gear works fine on the cheap.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a used lee pro 1000 for my 45acp and it is accurate in dispensing powder..at least the Bullseye powder that is all i use
in my 45acp...1 round every 4-5 seconds ..i do have to manually install the bullet.

That is cheap and this thing has loaded over many thousand rounds before i got it..and has done a few thousand for me just this year..

I looked at the 550.. no way i would get that...Progressive is so much quicker...

I have a single stage press for my rifles.
I do not see how a progressive for rifles would work ...
What do you guys do with the lube inside the case necks ...

I check neck ID on my rifle rounds after sizing and clean off all lube..
I could not do that on a progressive any quicker than a single stage..

But pistol ammo ain't that picky..I do not shoot 45acp at the ranges of my 30-06 or 308.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to not have to manually load cases, bullets or primers. The idea for me is automatic but supervised. That's it. I know that will be an expensive setup, but I am looking at saving tens of thousands of dollars over the years. Hell, we went through over $100 in ammo yesterday alone. And one of these days, I hope to be able to shoot a lot more than I do now!

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless I've missed something somewhere, the Dillon 1050 doesn't have a bullet feeder. Aftermarket bullet feeders are available, but to my knowledge none are from Dillon.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dillon has not produced a bullet feeder as yet. There are lots of YouTube videos where some creative individuals have totally automated their machines.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless I've missed something somewhere, the Dillon 1050 doesn't have a bullet feeder. Aftermarket bullet feeders are available, but to my knowledge none are from Dillon.

Dillon has not produced a bullet feeder as yet. There are lots of YouTube videos where some creative individuals have totally automated their machines.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm talking about. Looks like Mr. Bulletfeeder for the obvious and although the Ponsness Warren is more common for the motor, I am thinking a Forcht conversion for the motor will be better. :D

W00T! Now I have a goal to work towards!

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't own Dillion presses, but seeing their construction and Engeneering, and combined with their NO BS Warranty, I am very impressed.

My only reason for not choosing a Dillion machine was caliber conversion costs, plain and simple.

However if I were going to choose between those two machines based on the stated criteria I would do the 650 and have the ability to expand if needed.

Kinda like the old CCW adage, I would rather have it and not need it, as to need it and not have it.

Any way, enjoy your new toy when you get it.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going for all-out automation, check out the RF-100 primer tube filler. Filling primer tubes is tedious and time consuming. I might have to go for one myself. The plan is to have the wife fill primer tubes for me for a while, the show her the video of the RF-100. It should work.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting into it, but going to be doing quite a bit of reloading for myself and a number of friends who are going to help defray startup costs. I'm thinking I want a 1050 that can autoload every stage for me while I eyeball it all.

I know everyone says to start with a single-stage, or start small, and all that, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a press I'm going to turn around and mothball in a few months.

Why in the world? I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube of the 650 and the 1050... but it just doesn't look like rocket science. And I've known some guys who were really quite simple who managed to do just fine reloading... I don't see what the problem is. Meticulous and patient yes... but not difficult.

Thoughts? Or should I make a new thread on why it's recommended that I don't start off with a high-volume-capable machine?

I agree with you. One of the arguments against starting big is you may find you don't like to reload.

If you buy Dillon you will get most of your money back used so why start with something else? If you don't like it sell it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom