direct inpingement or gas piston for your first ar/m-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwood 43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a ar/m-4 carbine and would like some input. Which operating system would be better to buy. Also is there any brands to stay away from. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DI is cheaper but dirty and run hot. Gas pistons run clean and cool and less recoil (if you can get less recoil out of a .223). I've ran both DI's and GP's and prefer the piston systems any day of the week. It just depends if you want to spend the extra $300 for a gas system or not. I think they are worth it personally. I prefer the Adams ARMS kits from weaponsparts.com. They Adams kits are easily to clean and tear down.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to save the extra money that would have been spent on the piston system and bought a Noveske instead of a RRA or similar. I say get the DI system, and put that money to a higher quality firearm or higher quality optic. IMO. The only AR I would stay away from is a "Franken-ar". Some people talk down DPMS, but I have shot several, and they all performed well. Most major manufactures are at least decent quality. IMO

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a franken-AR that I built from the ground up and it will hold better groups than most bolt guns at 400 yards. And I'm using a DPMS lower.

My suggestion is pick a budget and stick with it. You can build an AR yourself with high quality parts for under $1000. Regular quality I can build one for under $650. I've got around $2500 tied up in mine right now but it's a total custom build. You just need to decide your budget, what you are going to be using the gun for, and how often you want to clean it.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is a DI. Doesn't bother me. I remember how to clean them from the old M16 days. There is always a AR or two listed in the classifieds, most well under $1,000.00. Find one you like and go for it.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to save the extra money that would have been spent on the piston system and bought a Noveske instead of a RRA or similar. I say get the DI system, and put that money to a higher quality firearm or higher quality optic. IMO. The only AR I would stay away from is a "Franken-ar". Some people talk down DPMS, but I have shot several, and they all performed well. Most major manufactures are at least decent quality. IMO

I whole heartedly agree with this.
MOST commercial manufacturers are G2G. Sure they have more uppers/lowers out of spec then say BCM or Noveske, but thats the risk you take when paying less. Pay less and the QC is less.

Fraken AR's are only bad if low quality parts are used or some jackhole doesn't know how to put one together.

I've got a franken-AR that I built from the ground up and it will hold better groups than most bolt guns at 400 yards. And I'm using a DPMS lower.

My suggestion is pick a budget and stick with it. You can build an AR yourself with high quality parts for under $1000. Regular quality I can build one for under $650. I've got around $2500 tied up in mine right now but it's a total custom build. You just need to decide your budget, what you are going to be using the gun for, and how often you want to clean it.

Congratulations I would like to see that. The lower has next to nothing to do with accuracy on the AR platform, outside of the trigger group of coarse.

I do agree with this 99%. A "high" quality parts gun for under $1000 is hard to do. Now a quality parts gun under $1000 is more doable. I too have a "total custom build" reaching the $2,500 mark. Shoulda saved my money and SBR'd one.. or two.

To the OP, I say there is nothing at all wrong with a DI gun. They are "dirtier" in the BCG than a piston gun but really who cares?

And to your question about the SR-556, my brother has one and loves it. I have shot a couple mags through it and its smooth as butter. Worth the money, in my opinion, for him it was. The ruger comes set up ready to rock, Troy rail and Troy BUIS and a chrome BCG, and a piston system all for under $1500... I wish I would have bought one. One thing to note, The gas block on the piston systems get HOT. Even after a mag, that thing would burn the hand, and the buis on top were pretty toasty too.

I say if you have that kind of cash, get the SR556 if you also have some cash for an optic, doesn't have to be a 4-12x50 scope, just an eotech or aimpoint or something. Just please stay away from the wally world specials. That crap wont hold zero very well and if you plan on shooting your rifle in competitions or shtf or regular range time or classes, you're going to want some that you know will last and hold zero. If you're more of an iron sights kind of guy, I'd definitely say get the sr556.

and thats all I have to say about that.

Wheres kurt?

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you gonna beat it like a rented mule, or are you gonna toss it in the safe and let it out every once in a while?

If it's a safe queen, pick a cheap one. If not, pick out one of these and get one of these and be done with it.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CDNN is running extremely good deals on S&W Ar's, as in, $700 for a gun that is around $1100 everywhere else. I have a Sig 556, but at $700 prior to rebate, that has me thinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom