direct inpingement or gas piston for your first ar/m-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to second what others have said, use the money you save by going DI on other goodies or upgrades. I think the only time it would be worth it to go piston would be with a suppressor. That being said, I shoot my DI guns with my suppressor and I don't really notice much gas in my face. A gas gun will still need to be cleaned, it's just a different area that needs to be cleaned and it will still get hot, just a different area gets hot. I'm not planning on doing multiple full auto mag dumps, but even if I did, I think a well maintained DI gun will handle it. My dad's M16 did in Vietnam on multiple occasions.

underwood 43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either the ruger sr-556c or bushmaster e2s MOE. Would really like to handle one or both first but that might not happen. The ruger is 400$ more a pound heavier and 1.25 inches shorter. But pretty sure one or the other.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to buy my first ar I would work my budget in this order of priority:
1. 2k rounds of ammo. Good quality 55 or 62 grain
2. Sighting system. Real men shoot iron sights. Half minute for both elevation and windage work fine out to 600 yards. Some stock sights have one minute for elevation-stay away from them.
3. Trigger. I prefer a JP single stage, but there are other good options.
4. Buy the best rifle that I can afford with the rest of the money.
5. Take my lunch to work, so I can afford to drive to the range several times a week.

peabodycoaltrain

New to the site!
Reaction score
hi ... this is my 1st post.

im outta missouri. an AR fan, deer hunter mostly, but love to target shoot and plink with my AR's.

to the OP.

DI.. for your first AR.

learn it , shoot it. sleep with it.
take it apart, clean it, eat with it.

lol.

me ? if i was to do it ALL OVER again.

i'ed get a DPMS dissipator. flattop. rifle length sights, full length handguards.

carry handle. up grade the sights if you want.

buy a boat load of ammo. learn the rifle.

reason i'ed go with the DPMS is my neighbor has one. its got rifle gas, and oh such nice n' soft recoil pulse. just like my standard A3 rifle.

but his is short n' handy. with good ammo, his NEVER fail's, we've shot thousands of rounds through his, nary a problem.

anyhoo... wish's i'ed of just bought that,and been done with it.. but noooo... spent hundreds of dollars, on several rifles, and all the ''new stuff''

for me, and what i do. a rifle 20'' and 1-7 twist, great for hunting everything.
a dissy for everything else. plinking/truck/tractor gun.targets.. whatever.:)

old saying that i like is KISS , keep it simple stupids...lol.:)

peabody

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure there are loads of great piston systems out there in spite of the criticism, however, how many of them are proprietary and may one day require expensive replacement parts?

With a DI weapon you can grab any of the multiple quality BCGs out there on the market and be back in action quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom