direct inpingement or gas piston for your first ar/m-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Id check out CDNN and get an M&P cant beat the price right now,I picked up a Sig556 Patrol Swat the other day at Academy for $1199 also a great buy on a great rifle...

oranjooose

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
hi ... this is my 1st post.

im outta missouri. an AR fan, deer hunter mostly, but love to target shoot and plink with my AR's.

to the OP.

DI.. for your first AR.

learn it , shoot it. sleep with it.
take it apart, clean it, eat with it.

lol.

me ? if i was to do it ALL OVER again.

i'ed get a DPMS dissipator. flattop. rifle length sights, full length handguards.

carry handle. up grade the sights if you want.

buy a boat load of ammo. learn the rifle.

reason i'ed go with the DPMS is my neighbor has one. its got rifle gas, and oh such nice n' soft recoil pulse. just like my standard A3 rifle.

but his is short n' handy. with good ammo, his NEVER fail's, we've shot thousands of rounds through his, nary a problem.

anyhoo... wish's i'ed of just bought that,and been done with it.. but noooo... spent hundreds of dollars, on several rifles, and all the ''new stuff''

for me, and what i do. a rifle 20'' and 1-7 twist, great for hunting everything.
a dissy for everything else. plinking/truck/tractor gun.targets.. whatever.:)

old saying that i like is KISS , keep it simple stupids...lol.:)

peabody

one helluva first post!:thumb:

oranjooose

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

underwood 43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking might buy a multi cal lower maybe a spikes then I could actually have 2 rifles for not much more money. and could have either di or piston or maybe one of each and wouldn't have to do it all at once.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the piston is just the latest flavor of the week as far as AR's are concerned. If you want one that is fine, but it is not like you will ever have issues with the DI system. Here are some pictures from a guy over on AR15.com who ran his AR with over 16,000 rounds of Wolf without cleaning it. He just shot some lube on the BCG every so often. It was caked up pretty good, but was still shooting fine. Would a piston have been cleaner, sure. Would it matter as far as the rifle working, nope.

ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e106_Captains1911_paper_20punchers_px1.jpg

ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e106_Captains1911_paper_20punchers_px2.jpg

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, it ain't a hard thing to figure out.
  • Good quality guns run better than poor quality guns.
  • Good ammo and good magazines are very important factors in a guns reliability.
  • Carbines, like women, run better when wet!

Piston systems have there uses, the primary one being enhanced reliability for a SBR or VSBR. Get a good, basic DI gun, buy good ammo and mags, lube the piss out of it and you will be able to shoot till the cows come home.

The suggestion for a BCM midlength is one I can stand behind fully as I have one and it flat out works.

Ek

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the piston is just the latest flavor of the week as far as AR's are concerned. If you want one that is fine, but it is not like you will ever have issues with the DI system. Here are some pictures from a guy over on AR15.com who ran his AR with over 16,000 rounds of Wolf without cleaning it. He just shot some lube on the BCG every so often. It was caked up pretty good, but was still shooting fine. Would a piston have been cleaner, sure. Would it matter as far as the rifle working, nope.

ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e106_Captains1911_paper_20punchers_px1.jpg

ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e106_Captains1911_paper_20punchers_px2.jpg

Read this on M4 this is amazing.

But as I have been told, piston guns aren't cleaner they just get dirty in other places

Latest posts

Top Bottom