Direct TV or Dish..Satellite Television??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had Dish for years, and I love it. Yes, occasionally it drops because of a large storm... not "any little cloud".... sounds like someone may have had a sub-par crappy signal to start with. Plus, if my dish goes out, I've got like 300 hours of DVR'd movies to watch.

You can mount the dish on a pole or tripod in your backyard... the company will do this for you, all you have to say is "no mounts on my house."

I've been with cable before too, and while it's fine (when it works, that's a whole other story), Dish is hands'-down better.

As for Dish screwing their customers, I dunno about that, I've been with 'em for something like 4 years now and never had a problem. I'm quite happy.

Biggest thing for me was renting the equipment... with Direct, I had to buy receivers, if they went out or messed up, I was screwed. This crap I've got now belongs to Dish Network, not to me, so when the hard drive goes out or whatever, they eat it, not me.

Rock-solid service. No need for customer support thus far. Great equipment with tons of features. Tons of HD channels with great quality. Fair price, far less than Direct on a monthly basis for equivalent service.

Not bad-mouthing anyone here, just saying there are people out there who are quite happy with their satellite service from Dish, in spite of what some might have you believe.

bsdubois00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from paying over $100 per month for Cox - to paying $53 per month for Dish Network....

All in all I am very satisfied - yes when the weather is bad I lose TV - for me saving $50 bucks a month - I will let one night of TV go - because all in all I cannot remember any more than 1 night a month MAX that I am trying to watch TV and it goes out....

My 2 cents...

Eddie005

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had Cox cable and Direct TV and am currently on Dish Netweork. I love Dish. I get more channels for the same price at Direct. I have 2 dvr's instead of just one and their customer service so far has been great. Direct TV's customer service is absolutely horrible, worst I have ever had and will never go back to them. They did call last week wanting me back and offered me a special package and offered to pay the early cancelation fee for Dish. I told them no.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had all three. I got cox in my first apt and it was great. No complaints when I moved I switched to dish network and you know those commercials they run about cable always switching your prices around? NEVER did my bill change with cox in a whole year, dish, I had a different bill EVERY SINGLE MONTH. No real complaints with outages it had to be a serious storm to knock it out but after 9 months of my bill jumping all over I went back to cox. Again never had my price change and had ZERO complaints. I am a San Diego Chargers fan and I love watching them so I switched to DirectTV it was a enormous hassle in the beginning with the install BUT since then ZERO complaints.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Direct TV wins hands down. Dish screws their customers every chance they get. Having worked for them I know how they do everything they can to squeeze every last cent out of their customers. They treat their employees just as bad. If they were the last option I would do without.
If you opt for Dish, you will be screwed whether you realize it or not.
Dave

Living in a rural area, I have never had cable, only satellite. I have had both, and agree that Direct TV wins hands down and that Dish network does not have as good overall service and selections and will screw you every chance they get........... been there, got the t shirt.

You will loose service sometimes during bad weather or very heavy cloud cover no matter who you use, that is the nature of the beast.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned, regarding the choice between DirecTV and Dish, is the compression of HD signals. Since DirectTV has more satellites in the sky, they have more bandwidth to use. So while you may get the same amount of channels with Dish, you can know that some of the HD channels will be significantly compressed, giving an inferior picture quality when viewed on a good HD TV set.
I have DirecTV and it has been great. You have to make sure that the installer maximizes the signal strength though. Not just good enough to get it to come in, but you need to be hitting high 90's on all the transponders on all the satellites. That is how you ensure a strong signal that won't get knocked out by anything but the strongest storms.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting direc tv installed on Thursday. Cox kept raising my bill. They gave me a temporary discount, but my bill jumped up after the 6 month discount. I asked for another discount and they said they couldn't. Hence, I'm gone.

I'm keeping my cox internet. I'm getting direc tv's NFL Sunday ticket and all of their channels for $45 a month for 5 months. After that, NFL tickets end (seasons over) I can drop premium channels i.e. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc.. and my bill stays at $50. Plus, direc tv has 10 times more HD channels. Lastly, they are saving me 50+ dollars a month. Do the math, that's $600 a year. C-ya Cox.

Latest posts

Top Bottom