Direct TV or Dish..Satellite Television??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to add in my post above that with the dish network I just got it has free installation and no charge for hardware. They also offer free lifetime HD service which direct tv also charges you for.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had both, by far prefer Dish Network. And as far as losing signal at the drop of a hat, that doesn't happen. The ONLY time you really have to worry about signal loss is when there is a massive storm, and that really doesn't last long.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to add in my post above that with the dish network I just got it has free installation and no charge for hardware. They also offer free lifetime HD service which direct tv also charges you for.

Not true, Direc tv gave me free HD for life. I think all satellite companies offer free installation these days. What sold me on Direc tv was the free NFL Sunday ticket. All the NFL games in HD.:thumbup3:

My parents have had it for a long time and they love it. Cable is a rip off compared to satellite companies.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not true, Direc tv gave me free HD for life. I think all satellite companies offer free installation these days. What sold me on Direc tv was the free NFL Sunday ticket. All the NFL games in HD.:thumbup3:

My parents have had it for a long time and they love it. Cable is a rip off compared to satellite companies.

Must no longer be the case because if you look they charge you $7 a month for dvr service and $10 a month for HD service. You must be lucky!

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must no longer be the case because if you look they charge you $7 a month for dvr service and $10 a month for HD service. You must be lucky!

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/new_customer/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1

You will NOT get the games in hd you have to buy the superfan pack to get them in hd. I know I have Sunday ticket. The games look like crap compared to turning to fox or CBS and watching what game they are broadcasting in hd. They approved me for a hddvr and set it all up, then I found out they were going to charge me for hd service, I DON'T HAVE A HD TV. I told them to suck it and they said that I will have to pay to have someone come out and switch it for a regular dvr. After a few days I received a call from a customer service guy wanting to know how the install went. I told him the problem and they comped my hd fee for a year. I never asked for anything hd, I told them all I want is a dvr and they said no problem we can put a hddvr in at no cost.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I walked into Sam's a month or so ago and got talked into switching to DirecTV. Seemed like my friends could call Cox and get their bill reduced, but every time I did, they said 'Sorry.' So I committed to making a change. It seemed to make sense. I'd get a few more channels. Kids would have boxes in their rooms with 225+ channels, instead of about 70. Everyone was stoked about getting it.

I was a little leary about the 'custom installation' my house required for the MRV (Multi-Room Viewing for the DVR) and the fact that the rep couldn't quote me an exact price, but I agreed to the install anyway. The installer shows up and I ask him how much it was going to cost me and he says, "Oh, I don't do that. I just do the regular install. You need to call DirecTV and schedule that later."

After he gets into the house, he is all but talking me out of the MRV and says I should just get 2 DVR's. That's what I have now, so I said 'okay.' He calls the main office and tells the rep I want to buy another DVR. He puts me on the phone and the guy says, "You know that'll cost you $100." I told him that was fine and he says, "Okay...I can't do it for you, but let me transfer you to someone who can." The next guy gets on the phone and tells me it's going to be $200.

I said, "You know what? We're not doing this today. This installer is going to leave with all of his equipment and I'll decide what I'm going to do later."

After the guy leaves, I call Cox and cancel my phone to get my bill lower (since I was going to with the DirecTV anyway). I take the phone modem to the local office and complain to the gal at the counter that I never seem to get a break on my bill when I call like so many other people seem to. She says, "Lemme see what I can do."

She winds up knocking my bill almost in half for the next 6 months. She said I can see what other promotions are going on after that.

Long way of saying that, if DirecTV had handled the whole installation process better, I'm sure I'd be customer of theirs right now. Who knows....maybe I'll give them a shot in 6 months if Cox doesn't do right by me when the rate jumps back up.

AU_K9s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about none of the above.
Anything we are interested in can be seen OTA, or rented, or watched online.

Been without for 8 years.

$50/ month * 8 years = $4,800

That can buy quite a few toys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom