Direct TV or Dish..Satellite Television??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting direc tv installed on Thursday. Cox kept raising my bill. They gave me a temporary discount, but my bill jumped up after the 6 month discount. I asked for another discount and they said they couldn't. Hence, I'm gone.

I'm keeping my cox internet. I'm getting direc tv's NFL Sunday ticket and all of their channels for $45 a month for 5 months. After that, NFL tickets end (seasons over) I can drop premium channels i.e. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc.. and my bill stays at $50. Plus, direc tv has 10 times more HD channels. Lastly, they are saving me 50+ dollars a month. Do the math, that's $600 a year. C-ya Cox.

How much are you paying to buy all the equipment and get the installation for your DirecTV?

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been several threads here on this exact topic over the years. Same stuff hashed out each time. Kinda like a discussion on the merits of Ford vs. Chevy.

As for me....I will vote for Dish, although I have never had DirecTV. I did have Cox for many years, and now I have had Dish for over 7 years.

Satellite TV does NOT go out when a little cloud goes by. Mine has gone out for a SHORT period of time during a heavy downpour. Oh, by the way how do you think Cox gets their programming???? Ever seen the satellite dishes in their backyard? Even Cox blinks now and then.

I have never had snow or ice affect my satellite performance.

Too many people voice their opinions on stuff based on hearsay, rather than experience.

I would MUCH rather have satellite ( either brand) than cable. :twocents:

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay thanks to the OP as this thread has been very informative to me and helped push me to make the change. I've been using cable for 25 years so it's time to try something else.

Despite a couple of negative dish network reviews here I already signed up for them and here is why. I need 4 hook ups in my house. One in the living room, master bedroom, and both my kids rooms. As mentioned dish network does charge extra for that and it would of been an extra $15 more a month vs. dish network and dish already has a cheaper price to start with.

So with a 2 year contract I am saving about $25 per month vs. dish network and about $35 per month vs. what I have been paying for cable. My first satellite so I will try it for 2 years and see how it goes. Still have phone and internet with Cox though. Another bonus is they are coming Monday afternoon to hook it all up!

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been several threads here on this exact topic over the years. Same stuff hashed out each time. Kinda like a discussion on the merits of Ford vs. Chevy.

As for me....I will vote for Dish, although I have never had DirecTV. I did have Cox for many years, and now I have had Dish for over 7 years.

Satellite TV does NOT go out when a little cloud goes by. Mine has gone out for a SHORT period of time during a heavy downpour. Oh, by the way how do you think Cox gets their programming???? Ever seen the satellite dishes in their backyard? Even Cox blinks now and then.

I have never had snow or ice affect my satellite performance.

Too many people voice their opinions on stuff based on hearsay, rather than experience.

I would MUCH rather have satellite ( either brand) than cable. :twocents:

Ditto.

I also just want to stress one thing. Do not put the dish on your roof. In fact, some installers won't even do that anymore due to liability. Oklahoma likes its wind and storms, and you don't want to screw up your roof.

Put it on a pole in the ground.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have had all three and overall have been better served by direct TV.Loss of signal is the only complaint I have and it isnt that often.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto.

I also just want to stress one thing. Do not put the dish on your roof. In fact, some installers won't even do that anymore due to liability. Oklahoma likes its wind and storms, and you don't want to screw up your roof.

Put it on a pole in the ground.

My Dish satellite isn't actually on the roof, it is lag-bolted into the eave. Doesn't affect the shingles at all. It would take a frigging hurricane to rip that sucked off my house.

No worries.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
All free! Plus, I got $100 and so did my parents for referring me .

That's interesting, because when I looked into it, it was going to cost me around $400 to buy the equipment.

Good for you, though! I ended up going with Dish because the monthly rate was much lower for what I wanted anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom