DIY 1911 Improvements?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I want he kit just because I want omething tha high quality. I'm not a good enougjh shot to be a tack driver but I'd like to think one day, I'll get there. I want a plinker that's accurate and high uality stuff.

[Broken External Image]

not quite the one I wanted but it works...almost needed an encoder ring to decipher the message

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it from me also, leave the Dremel alone with your pistol, You will tear something up, I have torn up some good guns using one, Use stones and small files with small ball peen hammers, But dont touch the gun till you know what to do and where to do it, I took 9 hours to fit a match bushing once.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OlYeller I did say "dont touch the gun till you know what you are doing", And yes a man can tune a 1911 to shoot better, With just a ball peen hammer and a file..And of course a Micrometer or set of digital calipers. They arent rocket science.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OlYeller I did say "dont touch the gun till you know what you are doing", And yes a man can tune a 1911 to shoot better, With just a ball peen hammer and a file..And of course a Micrometer or set of digital calipers. They arent rocket science.

I need a set of Mics anyways. Building a motor soon. I already know how to use them so I think I can learn this if it comes down to "measure twice, alter once".

When I first came here, Traxxis said something about having purchased slides and frames at a decent price and it got me thinking, here recently, about building one, myself with help from someone who knows better what they're doing, of course. My RIA is heavy but I like it. I want to build something like it but lighter.

What are some good companies that make components? I realize some stuff will have to be fitted by a smith but other than that, I think I can do it. If I can change a rack and pinion in a Pontiac Aztec, I feel I can do anything, lol.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, this post isn't directed at any 1 person.

It always amazes how little regard people have for craftsmen.
There's a reason why gunsmiths are always busy, not many have the skill & patience to get it right. There are very small tolerances. It takes precision down to the thousandth (no exageration).

Changing a rack & pinion or repairing an electric service, whatever, doesn't require anywhere near the attention to detail or the patience to hand fit the parts. No, it's not rocket science, but I'll bet the people making these statements couldn't produce a product half the quality as any of the resident gunsmiths. While you could order parts & assemble a functional pistol, functional doesn't mean it's right.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I think a person trained & practiced in a skill such as gunsmithing deserves a little more credit than what they seem to be getting around here lately. And of all places, a gun board.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In some engine blueprints, tolerances go out to the ten-thousandth (.0010) of an inch. I can't machine my own block but I can take the appropriate measurments and send it off to the machine shop, have the individual parts machined for fitment and assemble them when I get them back. I can also file my own ring end gaps and, with practice, port and polish my own cylider heads. I wanna know if i can take my gun (even an existing one), measure it, send it off with the measurements to have the parts altered to a set specification and then reassemble them myself when I get them back and what little things I can do myself. I NEED a gunsmith for that.

For me, the idea of having someone else build me a gun is like having someone else build me an engine. I like the idea of doing what I can, myself, and having the gunsmith do the stuff I am incapable of doing. If I break a few parts, I call it a learning experience and try again.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, this post isn't directed at any 1 person.

It always amazes how little regard people have for craftsmen.
There's a reason why gunsmiths are always busy, not many have the skill & patience to get it right. There are very small tolerances. It takes precision down to the thousandth (no exageration).

Changing a rack & pinion or repairing an electric service, whatever, doesn't require anywhere near the attention to detail or the patience to hand fit the parts. No, it's not rocket science, but I'll bet the people making these statements couldn't produce a product half the quality as any of the resident gunsmiths. While you could order parts & assemble a functional pistol, functional doesn't mean it's right.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I think a person trained & practiced in a skill such as gunsmithing deserves a little more credit than what they seem to be getting around here lately. And of all places, a gun board.

I mean no disrepect to the gunsmiths here. I am going to NEED a gunsmith, regardless. But I wanna get elbows deep in this. It seems there are a lot of people that just think I shouldn't do anything and let the gunsmith do it all. I wish there was a "How-To" section on this board like there is on other boards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom