Do additives like Seafoam or Lucas do anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickormate

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just happend to use Seafoam on my 97 4runner and i can see the difference in how many miles im getting. Has improved gas mileage. I was impressed by the B-12 from everything I seen on youtube.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a lot of work on Turbo Buicks in the past. One thing I used to use is a kit to clean fuel injectors. Started off by connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and then pulled the fuse for the injectors to see the pressure when the motor died. (The higher the pressure, the dirtier the injectors). Then connected the cleaner to the rail, pinched off the fuel return line at the rubber segment and ran the motor till the can was empty and the car died. (Surprising how long a car can run on a can at idle) After the cleaning I'd re-run the test and most times the car would idle longer indicating (I suppose) that the injectors were less clogged. Later on I found sources for equipment to borrow and do actual flow testing on fuel injectors. Didn't do that too many times due to the smell & mess in dealing with kerosene in my shop.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For carbon build up and knock, just put some transmission fluid in the gas tank. It will stick to the carbon and burn it off. I destroyed a transmission at Thunder Valley. It would shake, skip, and not shift out of first. We drained the transmission fluid and filled it full of Lucas. I was able to run 7, or 8 more races before it imploded.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would be very careful adding anything fancy to newer vehicles...they aren't as forgiving as they use to be. Sure Lucas oil additive is super thick and clings to the little plastic gears better than 30w motor oil...but that doesn't mean your motor needs that or likes that. If your vehicle only has 30k miles and runs fine, why fix what isn't broken?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my carbureted cars we would trickle water down the carbs and also used trans fluid and did the same thing.
Would clean carbon and crud from spark plug and piston tops.

I have purchased vehicles that smoked like freight trains.
Oil rings will get stuck and gummed up from lack of maintenance or poor choice of oil.

a few ways to fix the smoking from that issue.
Remove pistons and clean the oil ring grooves out and clean oil ring expander and stick it back together.

Or leave it together and try mystery fluids.
Sorry but the amount of time the mystery fluid stays on the oil rings is minimal at best really hard to clean it perfectly to eliminate smoking.

Sit down and remove the drinks from your mouth.
I have done this...
cold vehicle
Remove O2 sensors if it has them.
Of course old oil is in the engine.. leave it . add 1 can of berryman 3 quarts of mineral spirits. 1 quart of laquer thinner.
3-4 quarts of transmission fluid.

Start engine and rev it to 3000 rpm and hold for 5 seconds and kill it.
wait a couple minutes do it again.. then a few minutes later do it again.
let it set for 8 hours and repeat.
get up the next morning and repeat.
after 2 days drain all fluid. change filter and add good oil and run for 10 minutes and change it all again.

Or you can use gasoline and trans fluid or diesel fuel in the crankcase.
yea some crazy crap.

Basically i made a solvent bath inside my engine applied to moving parts without letting the parts get too hot as to evaporate the solvent away.

It has worked many times.
I had my 82 mustang which had 300,000 miles on it.. finally something broke it was the fuel pump.
It was the 200ci inline 6 cylinder engine.
It filled my crankcase full of gasoline when the pump went out.
It drove about 1/2 a mile before it died and smelled like a gasoline leak.

Benefit: The engine no longer smoked.. it only smoked a little bit before that.

Got me to thinking what actually went on when that gasoline filled the lower part of my engine.
Take it for what it is worth.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run lucas in the oil and from time to time in the gas for my Dakota. I have a dual filter setup for my oil and a single filter is almost double the capacity of a single one that is called for. Normally it takes like 6.5 quarts per oil change and I use about 8 quarts, I also run 0w40 vs the 5w30 it calls for. I got it with about 136,000 on it and it's now around 192,250 and it is still running good. It always has had a lifter issue which is common with the 4.7 where until it warms up a bit the rockers rattle a little and there is a slight crankshaft knock when it is cold but has done good so far. A few trips have been made out to Phoenix one of which was pulling a double axel Uhaul trailer back along with a power chair in the bed of the truck. It's rated at 18 mpg highway but I can make it from Albuquerque to Peoria, az on a single tank which is about 430 miles and still have fuel to drive around for a couple days running nearby so end up getting about 20mpg

The only other thing I do is a couple times a year I pull the intake hose off and hit the throttle body with cleaner to get some deposits off as well as clear out the idle air passage. I can tell when it's starting to get a bit too much crud when it will not idle smooth when stopped at a light with the AC off.

No additives in the transmission though. It was doing a weird up and down shift in overdrive on small inclines and flat area where it shouldn't have been. Flushed it and replaced the filters and it cleaned up and started acting right after a couple weeks driving. The 545rfe uses atf4+ and doesn't play well with additives.

J.C. Kerns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than O'Reilly's octane booster, I've never had any results, good or bad from any fuel additive. My cars don't need anything, but my motorcycle ('85 Honda V65) likes the octane booster and non-ethanol gasoline. It runs smoother and quieter with that combo.
My personal opinion is that every new "miracle in a bottle" is just to take your money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom