Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
40% of the entire state budget seems like a lot of money to me

Right, but to see the forest for the trees you have to look at the bigger picture. Our percentage of education spending may seem high but our revenues just aren't high enough to offset that percentage, especially now. Either way, what's your solution? Knock it down so we are 50th on the list? Maybe entice all those college grads from our state with a <31k salary? Oh and all those school supplies for your kids you pay for/raise money for? Well now you get to buy the PC for your room. Oh wait.... that already happens.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're blaming teachers for the shortcomings of parents. If the parents aren't involved and motivating their kids to perform, their kids are more likely to be crappy students.
And giving teachers more money fixes that how?
It boils down to just like everything else that government runs the inefficient mismanagement of money

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To imply that because I have no kids of my own means I know nothing about them is pure ignorance. If you think a 57 yo man has never had a hand in raising children just beause I had none of my own? I've been married 4 times none of them were virgins

Being married to someone that has kids doesn't automatically mean the same thing as raising a kid. It can go either way. Are these the kids you said you couldn't stand to be around previously?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being married to someone that has kids doesn't automatically mean the same thing as raising a kid. It can go either way. Are these the kids you said you couldn't stand to be around previously?
I said my grandkids are the only ones I can stand to be around

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What has it been...8-10 years since teachers got a raise? Is it unrealistic for them to ask for a cost of living increase?

Maybe I am the weird one, but I want the people who invest their time and effort into my kids to be able to take care of their families. I don't like taxes any more than the rest of us....but if it went into teachers pocket I would have zero problem with an increase.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that teachers are underpaid and OK heavily relied/relies on OIL and GAS.. we all know how that world is right now. The point I was going to make is the months worked. I knew quite a few teachers and most had summer jobs (painting comes to mind) to supplement their income. Don't know these days with length of school year and always talking year round school. BUT it is a chosen profession with a union. My sister in law has a Masters in Math and science but went into the education sector = bad move when had several other HIGHER paying options. Bottom line is there are so many so called solutions, that there won't be one = politics. Teaching is a calling and you know the $$$$ going into it. As for unions... my SIL changed districts after 15 years and started back at square one. Thank you union and school districts. She also taught at night at OSU/10th and Portland, for extra bucks. Just rambling with no answer. I retired from Higher Ed IT a few years ago and for several years the only way to receive a raise was to get a job title change with obviously a higher salary range. Don't know if there are jr/sr teachers or all money and titles controlled by Union = strictly seniority.
Power to teachers like Jeff. Hang in there!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if the students are so bad that they can't be educated what's the point? Why not do away with public school altogether? Why waste the Money ?
We need to have a standard of behavior for students and if they can't maintain it they get kick out and a standard of performance for teachers also

Those same teachers that are attempting to educate students that don't care, are producing honor roll students.

You're going to have to get parents to admit that their kids are little shits before a behavior standard can be enforced.

Like I said, place the blame where it belongs.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those same teachers that are attempting to educate students that don't care, are producing honor roll students.

You're going to have to get parents to admit that their kids are little shits before a behavior standard can be enforced.
I was one of those little shits that didn't care, 4th grade teacher got ahold of me and that was that. I could BS the parents into anything, old Mrs. Wilson knew I was full of it and not only called me out on it, but made me want to learn. Good old lady and the one I attribute my Masters Degree too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom