Do we need still need the "press"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

In Remembrance 2024
Special Hen
Reaction score
What specific types of 'checks and balances against the type of press we have today' did they create?

And i was responding to the specific statement made that "The press was intended to distribute information without opinion". That was never the case, and it was certainly not reflected in the actions of those who drafted the Constitution, nor for many who followed. There has certainly been an effort in recent history to be more balanced, but it's always been an ideal. And even when it's achieved, there will always be those who refuse to admit it.
I was wondering the same. The only thing I can find in the Constitution that might be a check on the press is the postal frank (allowing elected officials to communicate directly with their constituents free of middlemen), and that's a huge stretch.

Dave70968

In Remembrance 2024
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Founding Fathers didn't want the "average joe(SIC)" to vote for or elect a senator. This being a republic, the Senate is supposed to be comprised of councilors. (The definition of a senator back when the Constitution was written was "a public councilor".) Each state was to select 2 public councilors(senators) to have seats in the senate, with one vote each. Basically, the senators represented the legislatures of the several states, selected by the legislature of the respective states. As it stands right now, thanks to the Seventeenth Amendment, we have two houses of representatives. This has caused the several states to lose sovereignty and power to the Feral Government.

Direct election of senators is one of the alterations to our system of government that has impaired the energy of the system.

"One method of assault may be to effect, in the forms of the Constitution, alterations which will impair the energy of the system, and thus to undermine what cannot be directly overthrown...." George Washington, from his farewell address.

Woody
I agree, along with the Sixteenth. I think if the Senate was beholden to state legislatures for revenue instead of taking it directly, we'd see a lot more fiscal responsibility.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering the same. The only thing I can find in the Constitution that might be a check on the press is the postal frank (allowing elected officials to communicate directly with their constituents free of middlemen), and that's a huge stretch.
restricted voting Rights and appointment of Senators means the effect that the press has on the average joe does not matter.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and i wonder what percentage of the population, during the founders time, could actually read. i reckon with all the media available today i should be asking the same question of today's population LOL

Along with what others stated before, I remember the story I heard of a law professor that had all his students to read the Federalist Papers. Invariably, after reading them, the students would remark in class that they were very difficult to read. To which, the professor would say, "Yes, they may be hard to read, but at the time they were written to the reading capability of the average colonial farmer."

Much of the education back in that period, that being the time of the founders and especially before the founding of the country, education was based a lot on the New England Primer. That was a booklet that assisted in the teaching of reading as well as many religious teachings, which was essential to the early religious "settlers" and to the founders.

Wikipedia article on The New England Primer

Last edited:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with what others stated before, I remember the story I heard of a law professor that had all his students to read the Federalist Papers. Invariably, after reading them, the students would remark in class that they were very difficult to read. To which, the professor would say, "Yes, they may be hard to read, but at the time they were written to the reading capability of the average colonial farmer."

Much of the education back in that period, that being the time of the founders and especially before the founding of the country, education was based a lot on the New England Primer. That was a booklet that assisted in the teaching of reading as well as many religious teachings, which was essential to the early religious "settlers" and to the founders.

Wikipedia article on The New England Primer

And the Bible, too.

Woody

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say yes. We need the press and information. But there should be accountability and consequences for deliberate misinformation. They have the right to freedom of speech but False disinformation should have fines levied against them. Hefty huge fines for dishonesty. There should be a standard and an ability to be impartial. The facts. Just the dam facts. Truth. Knowledge.

Not some propaganda machine for a bought and paid for buy party that as an evil agenda. There are to many puppets of George Soros and those that hate our country

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
restricted voting Rights and appointment of Senators means the effect that the press has on the average joe does not matter.

State Legislatures appointing Senators ensured that the States had a credible voice in the federalist (small F) system. Federalism means that the the States and the Federal government have their own respective spheres with the States being the primary ones and the Federal government having certain enumerated powers. Right now the States, as political entities, no longer have a direct voice in our Federal system. Rather than enable our system of government, the current direct election scheme for US Senators has actually deprived the Federal system of balance.

The House of Representatives is the direct voice of the people, the Senate was not intended for that. Under the intellectual construct of progressive political philosophy the original design of the Founding Fathers was changed regarding the federal legislature. In fairness, as someone would no doubt have pointed out soon anyway, many States has already sort of bastardized the election of senators in order to allow "the people" more voice by the time the 17th Amendment was proposed. It is all legal - the amendment was duly passed - but it has unhinged and disrupted the very foundation of the system that our Founders established to maintain balance between the partners in our federal system.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
State Legislatures appointing Senators ensured that the States had a credible voice in the federalist (small F) system. Federalism means that the the States and the Federal government have their own respective spheres with the States being the primary ones and the Federal government having certain enumerated powers. Right now the States, as political entities, no longer have a direct voice in our Federal system. Rather than enable our system of government, the current direct election scheme for US Senators has actually deprived the Federal system of balance.

The House of Representatives is the direct voice of the people, the Senate was not intended for that. Under the intellectual construct of progressive political philosophy the original design of the Founding Fathers was changed regarding the federal legislature. In fairness, as someone would no doubt have pointed out soon anyway, many States has already sort of bastardized the election of senators in order to allow "the people" more voice by the time the 17th Amendment was proposed. It is all legal - the amendment was duly passed - but it has unhinged and disrupted the very foundation of the system that our Founders established to maintain balance between the partners in our federal system.
what does that have to do with the press?

Dave70968

In Remembrance 2024
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say yes. We need the press and information. But there should be accountability and consequences for deliberate misinformation. They have the right to freedom of speech but False disinformation should have fines levied against them. Hefty huge fines for dishonesty. There should be a standard and an ability to be impartial. The facts. Just the dam facts. Truth. Knowledge.

Not some propaganda machine for a bought and paid for buy party that as an evil agenda. There are to many puppets of George Soros and those that hate our country
How, exactly, would you write and enforce such a standard?

Latest posts

Top Bottom