Does anyone else on the board not like 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding the original post, I'm not a fan of the 1911.
It shoots nice, very "pointable", good ergo's, etc.
However, it is a pain to disassemble and reassemble.
Guess I'm just spoiled by the XDs, Sigs, Glocks, etc.
It's a silly reason, but it's reason enough for me.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding the original post, I'm not a fan of the 1911.
It shoots nice, very "pointable", good ergo's, etc.
However, it is a pain to disassemble and reassemble.
Guess I'm just spoiled by the XDs, Sigs, Glocks, etc.
It's a silly reason, but it's reason enough for me.

Field strip a 1911:

Remove spring
Push out slide stop

Slide comes right off.

Rotate bushing and the barrel slides right out.

Done 3 steps.

Field Strip a Glock:

Pull slide back to right spot and release.
Pull trigger (I don't care for this.)

Slide comes off.

Remove spring and barrel comes out.

Done 3 steps or 2 if you don't include pulling trigger.

Neither one is rocket science. Guess I don't understand why people think it's so hard? The Beretta M9/92FS is the only other auto that I've had that was even easier to take down. (Flip latch, slide comes off, remove spring. 2 steps.)

Worm79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry and train with a firearm to protect me and my family. I also train against mutiple targets in low light and no light scenarios. That being said would you choose a weapon that offers a low round count with heavy recoil and a large muzzle flash I.E. 1911, or would you choose something that has a high round count, low recoil with minimal muzzle flash I.E. Glock 9mm etc..

This thread could be argued to death but I know a few things. I know I want more than 8 rounds in my first magazine and I know I dont want to have to manipulate not 1 but 2 external safeties to get my gun to fire. Under a stressfull situation this is not acceptable. I train to hard to give myself the disadvantage a 1911 offers when dealing with controlling the recoil to move to the next target quickly and try to see my front sight through a blinding muzzle flash. All in all I do not like them for a carry gun. I think they are everything a carry gun should not be.

dcoop46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911's have to be my first love. Shot my dad's WWll & it felt like part of me. Used to shoot cans thrown from the glass sliding doors into the backyard. Not that good these days. Getting old sucks.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry and train with a firearm to protect me and my family. I also train against mutiple targets in low light and no light scenarios. That being said would you choose a weapon that offers a low round count with heavy recoil and a large muzzle flash I.E. 1911, or would you choose something that has a high round count, low recoil with minimal muzzle flash I.E. Glock 9mm etc..

This thread could be argued to death but I know a few things. I know I want more than 8 rounds in my first magazine and I know I dont want to have to manipulate not 1 but 2 external safeties to get my gun to fire. Under a stressfull situation this is not acceptable. I train to hard to give myself the disadvantage a 1911 offers when dealing with controlling the recoil to move to the next target quickly and try to see my front sight through a blinding muzzle flash. All in all I do not like them for a carry gun. I think they are everything a carry gun should not be.

Muzzle flash and recoil on my G36 is no more than my G23. And considering my G36 has a shorter barrel than most 1911s, I would say the point is moot.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ummm, 2? The grip safety is no longer a factor once you grip the gun. I can see how someone with little to no experience with the 1911 could run into problems picking it up and trying to defend themselves. I'm guessing you have little experience with the 1911. If you're afraid in the heat of the moment that you can't cancel a safety by only getting a grip on the gun............you aren't fully prepared to safely use a gun to defend yourself.

Worm79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm, 2? The grip safety is no longer a factor once you grip the gun. I can see how someone with little to no experience with the 1911 could run into problems picking it up and trying to defend themselves. I'm guessing you have little experience with the 1911. If you're afraid in the heat of the moment that you can't cancel a safety by only getting a grip on the gun............you aren't fully prepared to safely use a gun to defend yourself.

Can I quote that and put it under general discussions under "Dumbest thing you've ever heard at a gun shop/range"

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I quote that and put it under general discussions under "Dumbest thing you've ever heard at a gun shop/range"

Only if I can post this:

Latest posts

Top Bottom