Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Or, can we do without it? Will we ever learn to accept our mortality and live life to the fullest and treat unsubstantiated claims of an afterlife as complete speculation not worthy of centering one's life around? We don't need it for moral guidance... Treating people as you'd like to be treated has been around since day one. No religion holds the monopoly on decency. For any good it claims to contribute to society and the world, it also seems to bring with it a lot of baggage and cause a lot of division that may not otherwise exist.

So, is it in our nature to need something outside of ourselves because living and dying isn't good enough? Or, can we learn to accept life for what it is? Beautiful, tragic, just, unjust and finite.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or, can we do without it? Will we ever learn to accept our mortality and live life to the fullest and treat unsubstantiated claims of an afterlife as complete speculation not worthy of centering one's life around? We don't need it for moral guidance... Treating people as you'd like to be treated has been around since day one. No religion holds the monopoly on decency. For any good it claims to contribute to society and the world, it also seems to bring with it a lot of baggage and cause a lot of division that may not otherwise exist.

So, is it in our nature to need something outside of ourselves because living and dying isn't good enough? Or, can we learn to accept life for what it is? Beautiful, tragic, just, unjust and finite.

No need for religion at all. An acknowledgement of God and a trusting relationship with Him, yes. Does any of it make sense? Not always, but if there's no God, then that leaves us as the most intelligent thing around, and that truly does paint a sad picture. Then there's the odds that all this was created by accident, which I believe to be really unlikely.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No need for religion at all. An acknowledgement of God and a trusting relationship with Him, yes. Does any of it make sense? Not always, but if there's no God, then that leaves us as the most intelligent thing around, and that truly does paint a sad picture. Then there's the odds that all this was created by accident, which I believe to be really unlikely.

God of the bible? That would be another religion.

99% of all species to ever exist have gone extinct. Somehow people think that's evidence of a divine creator... To me, that's just more evidence this is a cosmic accident... But it doesn't matter to me. I see no need to for the speculation of our alleged magical beginnings. I'm more interested in the here and now. My current observable life. Maybe I'm in a small minority that cares not about whether we live forever or not. I don't think about it. I'm too busy with living now. That's really my question. Is my mentality common? Will it become more common? Stuff like that.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
God of the bible? That would be another religion.

99% of all species to ever exist have gone extinct. Somehow people think that's evidence of a divine creator... To me, that's just more evidence this is a cosmic accident... But it doesn't matter to me. I see no need to for the speculation of our alleged magical beginnings. I'm more interested in the here and now. My current observable life. Maybe I'm in a small minority that cares not about whether we live forever or not. I don't think about it. I'm too busy with living now. That's really my question. Is my mentality common? Will it become more common? Stuff like that.

I believe your line of thinking will become more common. I believe all this does matter to you, however. If it didn't, why would you dwell on it like you do?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think mightymouse is correct. Humanity doesn't need it, but some people do. Structure and routine is important to people. Without it, they feel adrift and disconnected. Religions provide that, as do many other things in life.

What I fond more interesting is how most bad people still reach for a justification to be bad. It's not always religion, but it often is. The truly amoral sociopath is a pretty rare bird. Most who commit violence are just people with faulty wiring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom