Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.

Not really, especially if you understand history. By far the most bloodshed and persecution has involved religion or religious individuals.

To answer your last question, there is none that I can think of on a large scale. Given man's extensive history of war and violence, explain to me how humanity is better off again?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In essence humanity does not need religion, and the world would be better off without the two largest. Man will evolve from this understanding of it's existence, just like it has in the past. However, right now, it's generally used as control or allows people to be controlled due to insecurity about their mortality.

That's how I see it too.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But we can't be for all things simultaneously, right? Some are in direct conflict with each other. Religion and many times, science, for one.

I read your comment as a non sequitur. I am not saying you need to be for all things simultaneously.

I am suggesting that you articulate a 100% positive vision for how a religion-free world would be superior. Can you do that? I think it is very difficult to do, but am eager to hear your thoughts.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really, especially if you understand history. By far the most bloodshed and persecution has involved religion or religious individuals.

To answer your last question, there is none that I can think of on a large scale. Given man's extensive history of war and violence, explain to me how humanity is better off again?
Well, yeah, it is a shame I don't understand history. But, to go back to your point, if the point of religion is to control people; given the state of the world now, with two major religions being in control of people, how much worse would it be with no religious control, or, indeed, if you had your wish, no control at all?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read your comment as a non sequitur. I am not saying you need to be for all things simultaneously.

I am suggesting that you articulate a 100% positive vision for how a religion-free world would be superior. Can you do that? I think it is very difficult to do, but am eager to hear your thoughts.

I can only speculate based on my experience... It's undeniable that there are positives that come from religion just as it's undeniable that religion produces some bad things. The bigger question is what are we left with? More good or more bad? Unfortunately, I don't think that question can be approached without bias. We're already on a side and will naturally select the one that fits our world view. It would be an interesting study but one that's impossible to quantify. It reminds me of the question I like to ask anti-gunners... "how many lives do guns save annually?" I think that number is ginromous and insanely impossible to calculate. Just as I think the good vs bad of religion is an impossible formula to construct and then solve. But I do lean one direction, obviously.

I just wonder if there's really a trend to move away from it like some sources say. I'm an apostate and I know many others but in the grand scheme of people and life, that's not even a drop in the bucket.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If no one can convincingly articulate the positives of a religion-free world and what the path to achieving it looks like, then you are taking an enormous leap of faith that it will indeed be better.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the wars fought in the history of the world involved questions of territory, treasure, or power. Relatively few were fought primarily for religious reasons. World War II was the bloodiest in world history--recite the religious basis/justification of that one, please. The American Civil War was the bloodiest war in American history--again, recite the religious basis/justification for that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom