Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... lots of religions have been used in name for reason that were not pure. Christianity, Islam, probably a lot more if we look hard.

But I believe the basic tenets of modern Christianity are rooted in good principles. But man, as usual, corrupts them.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the real question is why it was created to begin with. To explain our history or to explain our future? Maybe it's neither as there's the mechanism of control it affords as well.

I read an article a while back that Americans were losing their religion. I don't know how true it is, but I do think having immediate access to information via the internet would have something to do with it.

I think religions are created by man in the hopes there is something more, something greater, after one dies. To quote Oscar Wilde: "Is this (that) all there is?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
HTG, I wish we would get past the compulsion to get people to agree with us when it comes to religion. Those who want it have God, good for them. Those who don't see the point, great. Why does anyone else's opinion matter? I am too damned old to be interested in someone's spiritual journey to nothingness. Heard all the arguments, none of them are novel or particularly compelling, to me. I've already been down that road and back and, upon reflection, take a certain satisfaction that I didn't feel the need to drag everyone else along with me for the ride. I am just a bad person, I suppose, that I am not evangelical enough to really think it anything but tedious.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I added the bold.

In my opinion the basis comes down to this:

1. Respect and love God.

2. Respect others and show the love God has shown to you.

According to James: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Does anyone truly see anything wrong with that?

It is a great starting point. I would add, "No one is good except God."

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, yeah, it is a shame I don't understand history. But, to go back to your point, if the point of religion is to control people; given the state of the world now, with two major religions being in control of people, how much worse would it be with no religious control, or, indeed, if you had your wish, no control at all?

I agree. Are you relaying that humans can't have a value system without a man made religion? I would take my chances throughout history without christianity or islam for sure.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the wars fought in the history of the world involved questions of territory, treasure, or power. Relatively few were fought primarily for religious reasons. World War II was the bloodiest in world history--recite the religious basis/justification of that one, please. The American Civil War was the bloodiest war in American history--again, recite the religious basis/justification for that one.

Semantics aside, let's review exactly what I said in that quote. I'm not sure why you are ignoring what history has shown us. There are countless example throughout time over several continents, but let's take your examples though. Germany was by far a christian nation during WWII yes? Well those christians at the very least turned a blind eye to execute how many jews? What did they do to the rest of Europe? How about what they did to the Russian civilians? Where were the "bulwarks" I have heard so much about here on this board from christian cheerleaders? American history? Sure.... what happened to the Indians? What did our good christian people do to them? How did the good christian people treat slaves?

Now we can go back and cite several religious wars too, but it seems that religion serves little purpose to protect humanity as it definitely doesn't follow the values it preaches in even a partial manner.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well said, and like you said, hard to prove either side. Everything that was done in the name of "religion" in the last 2000 years and beyond, if those events hadn't occurred, would things be better now or worse? We'll never know. Slavery? the same premise, it's historical, it happened, are we better or worse now because of it? We'll never know.

The trend to move towards or away? We really have few ways to validate any of the info we get from information sources, so your guess is as good as mine......we just have to rely on our personal experiences. Even then, I'm sure that would be relative to each persons situation and environment around them. Religion is on the decrease in Ferguson, MO for example.......but on the rise in every maximum security prison in the US lol.

And it's not just the things we can see manifest... But what about sadness, depression, lack of confidence and of course the flip side of that, that religion can contribute to? Personal, menatal health issues and such. Religion plays a good role and a bad role there too.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm a follower of Jesus. I'm not controlled by anyone and I really don't care what people think. I don't think I'm better than anyone, probably worse. I'm better than I used to be but still a work in progress. Because of my faith I am not afraid of death. If you hate me because of my faith, join the crowd. If you come at me bring a sack lunch.

No question it's good for some people. I'm better off and happier without it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Interestingly, death doesn't scare me either. It's the panic, fear and pain that may preceed it, that scares me. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom