Does Humanity Need Religion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's sarcasm. I just find irony in those champion Christian ideology and pretend those involved in the genocide and theft of land from the natives weren't Christian and it didn't happen. Those people who did that, definitely weren't living with the golden rule in mind. They were greedy and selfish. And upon that, their religion shines. You can see it on every corner in this great state. The religion and ideology of complete and total love... Just don't ask them how they got it to where it is today.

So should the Comanche have been forced to give the land they gently, lovingly stole from the Apache back? Exactly how far do we take this? Osage vs Cherokee? Rome vs Goth? We're all savages.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm quite sure somebody's gonna convince somebody of something in this thread...or, maybe not. Keep fighting the good fight!

I don't think anything in the history of OSA is as doomed to failure as this thread. Well, possibly the vacuum/xD/coffee table thread... :)

Two wrongs don't make a right. Or three, four or twenty.

No, but three lefts do...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think anything in the history of OSA is as doomed to failure as this thread. Well, possibly the vacuum/xD/coffee table thread... :)

No, but three lefts do...

I disagree. It didn't fail. It succeeded in reaching OSA epic legend status.

Sometimes, I want to comment in these threads. And then I see the level of passion and scorn from those who claim to be non-religious towards the religious, and decide it's not worth it. I imagine trying to have a productive discussion about religion on a public forum would be akin to trying to tame sharks by pouring blood in the water.

Be careful on this topic, as it treads close to breaking the rules here.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two wrongs don't make a right. Or three, four or twenty.

And there lies the rub. Is it wrong to try to secure land/wealth/hunting rights by war to make sure your tribe has what it needs; or is it wrong to not do those things for your people? Me thinks the capable warrior that allows the next tribe over (of whatever stripe) to make his descendants less secure is a coward and a traitor. It's Earth - it's been fought over and will continue to be. The rules you decide to obey will limit your ability to battle the guy that doesn't play by those same rules. Why feel bad about it?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I disagree. It didn't fail. It succeeded in reaching OSA epic legend status.

Sometimes, I want to comment in these threads. And then I see the level of passion and scorn from those who claim to be non-religious towards the religious, and decide it's not worth it. I imagine trying to have a productive discussion about religion on a public forum would be akin to trying to tame sharks by pouring blood in the water.

Be careful on this topic, as it treads close to breaking the rules here.

We could have a productive discussion about it in PM. I'll be glad to give you a perspective from this side of the fence while also having spent the vast majority of my life on the other side of the fence. I take no credit for any decision I've made. I'm just a product of the culmination of events that have lead me here.

I think religion should be more of an open topic and not one that's just shared by those who are like minded. It's unfortunate many don't like their ideas or beliefs to be scrutinized and instead keep them safe by only sharing them when they're in the presence of the like minded.

But, we're all different and I can respect some just like to avoid conflicting ideas.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And there lies the rub. Is it wrong to try to secure land/wealth/hunting rights by war to make sure your tribe has what it needs; or is it wrong to not do those things for your people? Me thinks the capable warrior that allows the next tribe over (of whatever stripe) to make his descendants less secure is a coward and a traitor. It's Earth - it's been fought over and will continue to be. The rules you decide to obey will limit your ability to battle the guy that doesn't play by those same rules. Why feel bad about it?

I don't feel bad about it. I just see a stark contrast in those actions and what many Christians believe are significant tenants of the faith... Love your enemies and all that.

In the end, religious or non, survival seems to come first. And I definitely understand that approach.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humanity needs reason. Humanity needs philosophy. Religion? Not so much. Much of it is actually detrimental to our survival and prosperity, and in fact the extent to which humans survive and thrive is a strong testament to how well we haven't followed the tenets of mystical religions that preach self-sacrifice, denial, focus on the spiritual rather than the material, and the impotence of the human mind. Thank goodness humanity has a strong enough sense of self-preservation that we by and large aren't capable of living up to those sorts of values, and following them to their logical conclusion (extinction).

The prevalence of religion is IMO due to the fact that most people are bad and lazy philosophers. Rather than figure out for themselves what is right and wrong, moral and immoral, and what they should and should not do, many prefer to accept a pre-packaged philosophical system that doesn't require much thought on their part. Why is X bad? Because God said so. Case closed.

Every advancement of civilization that makes our lives so enjoyable today is the product of the human mind, and was made possible by a man who at one point devoted himself to the material world rather than the spiritual one; who was concerned with this life rather than some hypothetical afterlife; who at least in some way trusted in his own knowledge and understanding, rather than in the mumblings of mystics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom