Does with Fawns. What do you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do?

• Total voters

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious what you guys think about this. I really haven't formed an opinion myself and I'm looking for feedback. I understand some people would say no because they have seen Bambi one too many times, but what is best for managing the herd? At this point are the fawns able to care for themselves?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wildlife biologists that I have talked to say that the fawns are able to survive on their own at this point in the year. I'll whack the doe. If the fawn is a doe and she sticks around I may whack her too just because we have too many does in the area I hunt (and they are VERY tender and good to eat). I voted shoot the doe because that's my first choice to take out the mature doe.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it an ethical shot to try and align the fawn with the doe and shoot both at once? I know it's economical but is it ethical? I'm just kidding! If it's later in the season, I'd probably shoot the doe and let the fawn walk.

Reaction score
You forgot the best option (arguably): Shoot one of the fawns.

But shoot the doe is a decent choice too. The fawns will survive, 98% chance.

The shoot both is ok too: If you go that route, shoot the doe first; the fawns might stick around. But vice versa; the doe won't, most likely.

Is it an ethical shot to try and align the fawn with the doe and shoot both at once? I know it's economical but is it ethical?

Whether it's ethical will be highly fact & circumstance-dependent. But I'd say generally that it's probably going to be unethical with archery equipment, and only rarely ethical (but sometimes) with a rifle and high-quality bullets, suitable for this purpose & matched to the chambering, & if you're close enough and have a perfectly matched trajectory through both vital zones (which is unlikely, given their two different heighths, but it might be, with a slightly uphill or slightly downhill shot; e.g. downhill shot, fawn on the backside).

Whether it's legal or not, to do this on purpose, I don't know. I suspect that it is, provided both deer are legally harvestable on the day, and in the county in question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom