Dove Hunting Lessons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Safety Glasses! If your hunting a good area you might need people all around to keep birds flying. I have been hunting in awesome spots where there is 30 people on 15 acres, and the majority shoot their limit, and a hunter took a shot to the eye. Wear Glasses!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the Mojo dove decoy work? I've seen them but haven't tried it.

If they are in the area and even think about landing, yes its a magnet if they can see it.

I put mine on a post and it sits about 5ft high. I've seen them turn from 1/2 mile away and come to it like they were on a string.

If they are not in the mood to land then it doesn't do much good.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are in the area and even think about landing, yes its a magnet if they can see it.

I put mine on a post and it sits about 5ft high. I've seen them turn from 1/2 mile away and come to it like they were on a string.

If they are not in the mood to land then it doesn't do much good.

I was actually very surprised that it worked as good as it did. This year we set-up on a pond on a very windy evening and I swear that mojo dove is the only reason everyone almost got their limit.

We were set-up at a pond last year and a two ducks landed right by it. They decided to get the hell out of there once some dove came in.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was actually very surprised that it worked as good as it did. This year we set-up on a pond on a very windy evening and I swear that mojo dove is the only reason everyone almost got their limit.

We were set-up at a pond last year and a two ducks landed right by it. They decided to get the hell out of there once some dove came in.

Yeah they're great. I think I'm gona get a mojo duck this year rather than buy more decoys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We tried the motorized Mojo last year, and the landowner and I both thought it drove more birds off than it attracted. First year for the Mojo, so maybe we didn't know how to properly set it up.
This year.......no birds, so it doesn't make any difference.
My buddy and I are going to try a new spot north of town tomorrow evening, and thats gonna be it.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We tried the motorized Mojo last year, and the landowner and I both thought it drove more birds off than it attracted. First year for the Mojo, so maybe we didn't know how to properly set it up.
This year.......no birds, so it doesn't make any difference.
My buddy and I are going to try a new spot north of town tomorrow evening, and thats gonna be it.

Be sure to put it flying INTO the wind. I hunted with one twice this year. First time my Father-In-Law set it up. 5 of us got over 10 each, some limited, on day 2 of the season. We just sat in one spot and took turns shooting them when they were 10 feet off the ground about 20-30 feet away from us.

Second time, I set it up myself and was out there by myself and I only got 4. They would come to it just like the first time but for some reason the 2nd time they bail out right about the limit of my shooting range. I think the direction it was facing was wrong or something. My FIL said to always face it into the wind.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's mine. The lesson I learned during the last few years is, I'm much better off, and my time is far, far better spent in September.........

than it is:

sitting on a can for hours on end in 95 degree heat, with mosquitoes & ticks all around, covered up in camo, sweatin like a pig, shooting at the occasional dragonfly a couple times an hour (missing of course), and shooting at the very very occasional dove, and possibly getting enough - 3 doves let's say - for one meal, if I'm lucky in a day, and getting a ton of sand burrs and other burrs & stickies on me on the way in and out, when I don't even care for the taste of the birds all that much.

I didn't know you were out there with me yesterday!

IF...IF.... I hit one go to it quick or I'll never find it in the grass/weeds/brush.

You must have been with me last week...

I thought I was the only one who hunted in taller grass. I thought textbook dove hunting was over open, plowed fields.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dove skeet practice:

Station 1--simulate lighting a cig and have the ref hit the pickle while both of your hands are occupied.

Station 2--simulate taking a leak and have the ref hit the pickle while you have your hands full.

Station 3--be talking on your cell when the bird flies.

You get the picture. CB

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried the mojo for the first time this year, and now I wouldn't go dove hunting without one. The birds, and not just dove come in like they're on a string. Had a hawk attack it and it got beat up by the wings it even came around for a second strike before it finally flew off. The dove just came in and landed all around it. It worked so well I bought a second one.

Lesson learned... Use some PVC pipe to elevate the mojo. It's cheap and easy to cut to varried lengths. Sometimes hard to stick into the ground but if you take the spike portion of the mojo mount and stick it in the ground you can reverse the order of the stakes so the PVC will fit over it. The mojo will fit in the top of the PVC and will actually spin or move when the wind blows. The PVC will flex and provide a little life like motion. Just spray paint the PVC to camo it. I used flat black and just sprayed it sparingly, no need to spray the whole thing black just enough to break it up. The mojo works really well when you have some stationary decoys on the ground too. Just got to be sure not shoot your decoys...

It made dove hunting more like duck hunting. You watched them come in and instead of having to shoot the speeding bullets you just wait for them to come in and flair. We even waited for them to come in and land. They just kept coming in. We waited till the first one would take off to start blasting. It's amazing how live dove on the ground will attract more dove. Silly birds! When they took off it was like armegedon... Sad to say most times almost all the birds got away. It's easy to hit one or two even three but when you got ten or more I just get stupid and start blasting. I know there were several times when I shot into the bright blue sky just laughing my head off pulling my trigger as fast as I could. But it sure was fun! So lesson number 2 always pick a bird. Season is still young!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom