Dove Shooting Season Is Coming Up! Which Gun you use!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which auto-loader do you use for dove hunting, if o/u choose other then explain in po

• Remington

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Browning

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Winchester

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Benelli

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted "other" because I'll be using my 30 year old 20-bore New Haven 600 (A "house brand" Mossberg 500) that I got for Christmas when I was 14.

The wood is mahogany with a lot of figure in the butt and I've kept it in pretty good shape so it basically presents as new. The receiver had some wear on the anodizing, so I'm having that refinished and having a Limbsaver recoil pad installed.

When new, the gun had a 28" "C-Lect Choke" barrel on it. About 20 years ago, I got a 24" vent rib Accu-Choke barrel, which improved the handling of the gun greatly. I use extended sporting clays chokes with it.

I like the location of the safety on the gun. A couple of years after I got it, the plastic safety selector button broke and I used metal shop class to make a new one out of brass.

I like the modular design and easy maintenance of this gun. With the 24" barrel, it balance nicely between the hands and is a sweet swinger. The action is so slick that the thing pretty much reloads itself.

I'll be running Skeet 2, Improved Cylinder, and Improved Mod. chokes most likely. I'll be shooting 7/8 ounce reloads in AA hulls, with 8's and 7 1/2's for shot.

The gun has gone through several thousand rounds and aside from the crummy plastic safety button breaking, it has been totally reliable. It ain't the most impressive shooting implement to many, but it works very well for me, and I'll never part with it.

-JP

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted other too, because I usually use an old S&W 1000. It is similar to to Remington 1100. But this year I am using a spanish SXS 20 GA that I recently picked up. I have several 12s, but this will be my first 20. Going to give it a workout this season just because.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well, if the shoe fits and you're trying to impress someone with your shotgun. if you hunt with a single shot and fill your bag, i'd be impressed.

I did stop shooting my 391 Beretta and move to the old single shot break over, and impressed folks on the rooster shoot last year, I'll give it a go on the dovies and see what happens!

Nothing like knuckling a couple of shells for the follow up!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did stop shooting my 391 Beretta and move to the old single shot break over, and impressed folks on the rooster shoot last year, I'll give it a go on the dovies and see what happens!

Nothing like knuckling a couple of shells for the follow up!

Been there and done that!:D I started with my .410 H&R single shot and always knuckled a couple of shells for the next shots. :D

Reaction score
This year I'm using my Stevens 512 GoldWing O/U in 28 ga:

http://www.savagearms.com/st_512.htm

7.5 shot. 3/4 oz load. 2.25 dr equiv. IC first bbl, Modified 2nd bbl. May go with IM 1st, M-F 2nd if they start flying high. First weekend though will use IC/Mod.

If I can't hit with it, I will try my old Winchester 1400 in 20 ga., or the Franchi 48 AL in 20 ga., or the CZ/Huglu Durango SxS in 20 ga.

Dennis, that Weatherby is a bee-yoot. Well the sweet 16 is too for that matter! :)

I use a camo NEF Excel Auto 5, they can be had for ~$450 or less. I was impressed with how nice it is for the money, I suggest checking them out.

Yes, they are nice - made at Sarsimalz, Turkey. I have the "Turkey hunting" version of the Excel Auto 5 in 12 ga (with the 22" bbl), and it's my beater/turkey/waterfowl gun. Very lightweight and reliable if kept clean. Great price, too. A bit overkill for dove though, and doesn't swing as well as the longer guns like the 512.

Latest posts

Top Bottom