Dove Shooting Season Is Coming Up! Which Gun you use!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which auto-loader do you use for dove hunting, if o/u choose other then explain in po

• Remington

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Browning

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Winchester

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Benelli

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
I use an 1100 12 ga with 7/8 and 1 ounce target load 8's and a sportsman 58 20 ga with 7/8 loads also loaded with 8's. Both are choked improved cylinder. My advice is to find a good used 1100 (if you wnat an autoloader) or 870 pump in 12 ga with improved cylinder barrel or tubes. With this setup you can match loads to game and never look back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well, if the shoe fits and you're trying to impress someone with your shotgun. if you hunt with a single shot and fill your bag, I'd be impressed.
My first shotgun was an H&R single shot .410 I bought in 1962 used, from a pawn shop, when 11 years old with my dad. I paid for it by mowing lawns at $1.25 a yard for two summers. My parents made me save 1/2 of the money in a savings account, and the other half, I could do what I wanted. I also saved the other half because I had seen that gun at the pawn shop. I still own that gun and have shot many limits of dove and quail with it. That was the only gun I could afford until almost 30 yrs old. I'm getting close to 58 yrs old now, and can afford what I want. You can go from OKC to Tulsa in a Yugo, or a Lexus. You will get there in both.....which would you rather drive if you had a choice?
Maybe you have tattoos that cost several hundred/thousands of bucks, or 20" wheels and tires on your truck that cost 2K, or you have a beanie baby collection? If that your thing do it. If shotguns are your passion why would you have a problem with that? Shotguns are my passion.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
mossy 500 12ga,or mywifes mossy 500 410 ihave remy's but just as soon carry my old reliable mossy it's lite very quick to get on target killed many birds with it.and a pump does't have many problems. as far as shells a good dove load of #6's is what i like i acn get a little more distance out of them over 7.5's or 8's

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first shotgun was an H&R single shot .410 I bought in 1962 used, from a pawn shop, when 11 years old with my dad. I paid for it by mowing lawns at $1.25 a yard for two summers. My parents made me save 1/2 of the money in a savings account, and the other half, I could do what I wanted. I also saved the other half because I had seen that gun at the pawn shop. I still own that gun and have shot many limits of dove and quail with it. That was the only gun I could afford until almost 30 yrs old. I'm getting close to 58 yrs old now, and can afford what I want. You can go from OKC to Tulsa in a Yugo, or a Lexus. You will get there in both.....which would you rather drive if you had a choice?
Maybe you have tattoos that cost several hundred/thousands of bucks, or 20" wheels and tires on your truck that cost 2K, or you have a beanie baby collection? If that your thing do it. If shotguns are your passion why would you have a problem with that? Shotguns are my passion.

I can remember my dad using an Iver Johnson .410 single shot. He "upgraded" to a Western Field bolt action .410 and used that until I was a teenager when he finally was able to buy his Remington 1100 for $100 sometime in the early '70's. I had to shoot the single and then the bolt gun until I got a Mossberg pump 12 about when I turned 16.

My grandmother worked part time jobs for a long time to save up enough money to buy my Grandpa a new Browning Sweet 16 for $400 in 1962 for an anniversary present. Up until then he used a single shot 16 gauge which he shot so much the barrel is extremely thin. He would still shoot that gun when the occasional dillo or possum got too close to the house, before he'd shoot his cherished Browning for fear of getting a scratch or something on it. He was soooo proud of that gun because of the sacrifice of my Grandmother. $400 was a lot money to them back then. Dad was afraid the barrel would burst on the old 16 gauge but grampa would shoot it anytime. It never did. I have all of those guns now. No telling how many birds fell to those two .410's and that old 16 gauge. Grampa used to save his lunch money and buy 2 shells from a drugstore every day after school. Then him and and a friend would ride their bike to one of their many hunting spots. Back then you had to make your shots count. He and his 3 brothers and 1 sister usually ate what he shot that night. Next day he'd do it all over again.
So yea you might see me with an old cracked stock, broken butt plate 16 gauge single shot sometime shooting at clay pigeons. Some might shake their head and mutter under their breath. Who cares?

We need no stinking Auto loader, we use Remington Wingmaster in 16 Gauge.
How old is that one? Don't think I've even seen one of those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom