Ducks from the Chikaskia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went up to hunt with a good friend and co-worker up in Kay County after New Years. Did some Pheasant hunting that was almost a bust (I shot 1 and my friend shot 1). The duck hunting was a bit better. We shot 10 mallards, one gadwall and one drake pintail. The next day we took nine mallards and one green-winged teal.

Attachments

• ducks1.jpg
    ducks1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Ducks2.jpg
    Ducks2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 181

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pheasant hunting around here sux this year for sure. I haven't taken a bird yet. You did get a nice group of ducks though. The Chikaskia has been a hotspot all duck season for some of the guys I know that duck hunt.

Did you go with Spencer or Marshall? I know Marshall is a duck hunting addict.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to shoot ducks all time in the past, as we had some folks that really liked to eat them. Mostly pond hopping in Osage country. Never found a way to cook them that I liked, but then again, I'm always open to suggestion. All of the old recipies we tried were baking them with some kind of orange juice. Never did like oranges that much. Whats your way? Lord knows you have a years supply there:yelclap:

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite recipe for waterfowl is: Slice into ka-bob sized chunks, marinade in Italian dressing, season with cavendar's, wrap with bacon, then either put on smoker or bbq grill. The smoker turns out the best but I don't have a smoker so I use the grill. And I usually don't have italian dressing either. Another great way is to slice thin and either deep fry or skillet in bacon grease. However the best is deep frying the gizzards, hearts, and liver.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small electric smoker. Anything wrapped in bacon has to be good though:D I'll see if one of my duck hunting co-workers wants to give up a breast or two.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like most everything else, over cooking is easily done and drys out the meat. If you use the smoker put the prepared meat in an aluminum dish that you can put a half inch of italian dressing in.:spaghetti:

Latest posts

Top Bottom