Dumbest excuse for not coming to work...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Young guy at work called in and said he wouldn't be in for next 3 days because his grandma passed. Boss called is dad with condolences and wanted to know where the office could send flowers. Found out grandma had passed years before the guy ever came to work there.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I worked at Tulsa, driving in a little over an hour to get there, I was late a lot. At some point my supervisor wouldn't say anything. At some point, I would get a call from someone in the office telling me that they ordered breakfast and I need to go pick it up, or go get donuts. But I also had a key and was always the last one that left that office. I got more work after everyone left.
When I was younger I worked at a fast food restaurant, it was a block down from my house. Not a full mile block in a large city, but 400 feet from my house. If I called in, then I usually got caught. But I was also the guy that when someone called in, they didnt call me in, they came and got me.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 57 year old employee that calls once a week saying "My tummy hurts".
I've known multiple state employees that called in as soon as they earned more time. First ones to ask for time from other people that never called in. Race to the bank to cash paycheck broke the next day and creditors calling looking for them.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've known multiple state employees that called in as soon as they earned more time. First ones to ask for time from other people that never called in. Race to the bank to cash paycheck broke the next day and creditors calling looking for them.
Its not just state employees city employees are the same way i was always being asked to donate time but the answer was always the same earn it or dont get paid, i left with 880 hours of sick time built up and the first of every year for the last 15 years i had to start over at 800. So for 15 years i got a extra paycheck at the end of year for time built over 800 hours

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a supervisor one who was a tyrant and someone came to work late because they had a flat tire. Her response? They should have planned ahead. Now how does one plan for a flat tire? I guess if you have a spare tire that is planning...
By the same token, I had a later job and I was always early, on time, started working early even when roads were iced over and others would drag in a hour late even on a good day.. The boss was always playing sick to try for a disability retirement and I figured he wasn't coming in and my coworker said he was going to take off the day prior in order to have a three day weekend. I arrived at work early and sure enough, I was the only one there. I went down the hall and used a phone to call in sick and went out the building to the car lot and went home. I was disgusted at the lack of dedication and loyalty and this was my only way at getting back at them. Maybe it wasn't right but the person that always came in late caught heck with the workload.

Last edited:

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Metal Gear solid 2 was released, I locked myself in my office with a tv and PS2 for the whole weekend. I told my shift managers that this was a "test" to see if they could handle day to day operations on a weekend.

To be fair....I was salary, and averaged about 65 hrs a week at that time. It was kind of like a miniature vacation.
Needed to take a week vacation for all the Metal Gear releases lol. Phantom pain was amazing

Latest posts

Top Bottom