Earthquakes in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the Stanford study. I'm not going to bs anyone and say I read all of the science, but I did read the conclusions and reccomendations and the results.

From what my dumb uneducated tail understood, it's not disposal in to the Arbuckle. Its disposal that's supposed to be in to the Arbuckle and going instead in to the Crystaline Basement.

I think this is the study the OCC is using to determine its guidelines / regulations.

It had included wells plugged back, determined to be okay and some with in completed data numbers.

In the plug back numbers I didn't see a break down of wells that were in violation or wells that were just deemed too risky.

Just guessing, I would say there are no Arbuckle disposal wells for quite a distance from Edmond.

I'm curious how far this travels from the suspected wells.

I'm also curious why the Arbuckle was chosen as a disposal zone and why were permits granted.

I have dealt with OCC field inspectors and found them to be pretty ethical, but I wasn't trying to bribe them either.

I've dealt with a Commissioner (Ed Apple) as a private individual (me) and an OCC commissioner and found him to be a pretty decent guy ( I got my way).

I think I would duscount what Arkansas and Ohio did because of the difference in geology. I would also discount what Texas does for the same reason.

What southern Kansas does may have some validity with what happens in northern Oklahoma.

But so far I haven't heard anything specific Kansas changed or how they changed it.

Just saying they lowered pressure leaves a lot of unanswered questions for me.

I don't know how much influence the oil industry wields in Kansas, but, there is a pot load of oil production in Kansas and some of it's been there a while.

But I guess if you're just wanting to bad mouth the oil industry and the OCC this is a pretty risk free way to do it.

Pesonally, I would rather find a solution and some type of recompense for the people that have been hurt by the quakes. But with the way courts like to give away other people's mo ey, I can't see any disposal operator ever saying yup I'm guilty and I'm sorry.

By the way, some disposals are commercial operations and not owned by oil companies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't Hamm say May 2016 months ago?
But that was before China hit the skids.
I thought they had so much US debt paper they were our masters.

He probably did. He's been wrong on the oil price before, but he's not alone by any stretch. And some things have changed too. We are exporting now, France has goaded Obama into actually targeting ISIS oil shipments by targeting it themselves and Iran and the Saudis are shooting at each other's embassies. Yea, things are going to change, maybe not $100 oil, but $50 is profitable and foreseeable fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom