Ebola. Nothing to fear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BSL-4 LAB REQUIREMENTS:
This level is required for work with dangerous and exotic agents that pose a high individual risk of aerosol-transmitted laboratory infections, agents which cause severe to fatal disease in humans for which vaccines or other treatments are not available, such as Bolivian and Argentine hemorrhagic fevers, Marburg virus, EBOLA virus, Lassa virus, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, and various other hemorrhagic diseases. This level is also used for work with agents such as smallpox that are considered dangerous enough to require the additional safety measures, regardless of vaccination availability.*

1) When dealing with biological hazards at this level the use of a positive pressure personnel suit, with A SEGREGATED AIR SUPPLY IS MANDATORY.*

2) The entrance and exit of a level four biolab will contain multiple showers, a vacuum room, an ultraviolet light room, and other safety precautions designed to destroy all traces of the biohazard.

3) Multiple airlocks are employed and are electronically secured to prevent both doors from opening at the same time.

4) All air and water service going to and coming from a biosafety level 4 (or P4) lab will undergo similar decontamination procedures to eliminate the possibility of an accidental release. Agents with a close or identical antigenic relationship to biosafety level 4 agents are handled at this level until sufficient data are obtained either to confirm continued work at this level, or to work with them at a lower level.

5) Members of the laboratory staff have specific and thorough training in handling extremely hazardous infectious agents and they understand the primary and secondary containment functions of the standard and special practices, the containment equipment, and the laboratory design characteristics.*

6) They are supervised by qualified scientists who are trained and experienced in working with these agents. Access to the laboratory is strictly controlled by the laboratory director.

7) The facility is either in a separate building or in a controlled area within a building, which is completely isolated from all other areas of the building. A specific facility operations manual is prepared or adopted. Building protocols for preventing contamination often use negatively pressurized facilities, which, even if compromised, would severely inhibit an outbreak of aerosol pathogens.

Within work areas of the facility, all activities are confined to Class III biological safety cabinets, or Class II biological safety cabinets used with one-piece positive pressure personnel suits ventilated by a life support system.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see the lack of training at a Dallas Hospital as being part of the problem. The first patient was taken directly to Atlanta right next door to the CDC where the most knowledge about this kind of stuff is.

Once these people are discovered, they should be taken to a well equipped special facility with specially trained staff where the problem can be taken care of.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep and it still begs to question, why in the hell was he allowed in in the first place? Shoulda had a travel ban in place over 2 months ago. Obama is going to have blood on his hands before this shite is over.

Nope. #becauserepublicans will be in force....

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll spend my Tuesday Wednesday searching for Duncan's family.

Dang, it's hump day already..

One of them is Mr. Duncan’s fiancée, Louise Troh, 54, who has been under state-ordered quarantine with her 13-year-old son and two other young men. “Right now, we’re O.K.,” she said in a phone interview from the house where she and the others have been staying, in an undisclosed location. “I’m healthy. Everybody’s fine. God is in control.”

The Rev. George Mason, Ms. Troh’s pastor at Wilshire Baptist Church, drove on Tuesday to pick up an application for a new apartment for Ms. Troh. He said she would be starting over with almost nothing as her old apartment was shut by officials and decontaminated.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/u...d-more-quickly-to-dallas-ebola-case.html?_r=0

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My fear, if this gets any worse, is that the general population doesn't really care. Yes, most will be fearful of it but most people won't take any action to resist it.

And THAT is how it will spread here. We've been desensitized by the constant "get your **fill in the blank** shot here for a couple of generations now and the fact that most folks in this country have never seen a real pandemic/epidemic ...

I'm a little more worried today than I was a couple days ago ... but still firmly in the "watch and wait" camp ... I'm just watching a bit more closely than I was before ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of them is Mr. Duncan’s fiancée, Louise Troh, 54, who has been under state-ordered quarantine with her 13-year-old son and two other young men. “Right now, we’re O.K.,” she said in a phone interview from the house where she and the others have been staying, in an undisclosed location. “I’m healthy. Everybody’s fine. God is in control.”

The Rev. George Mason, Ms. Troh’s pastor at Wilshire Baptist Church, drove on Tuesday to pick up an application for a new apartment for Ms. Troh. He said she would be starting over with almost nothing as her old apartment was shut by officials and decontaminated.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/u...d-more-quickly-to-dallas-ebola-case.html?_r=0

I'm not ashamed to say that I am amazed that they are still healthy.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once these people are discovered, they should be taken to a well equipped special facility with specially trained staff where the problem can be taken care of.

Exactly. It boggles the mind that the CDC has been so hands off on the Dallas Ebola situation. Completely irresponsible. And I'm just a dumba$$ farmer.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DALLAS (AP)*- A Liberian Ebola patient was left in an open area of a Dallas emergency room for hours, and the nurses treating him worked for days without proper protective gear and faced constantly changing protocols, according to a statement released late Tuesday by the largest U.S. nurses’ union.

Nurses were forced to use medical tape to secure openings in their flimsy garments, worried that their necks and heads were exposed as they cared for a patient with explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting, said Deborah Burger of National Nurses United.

Burger convened a conference call with reporters to relay what she said were concerns of nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where Thomas Eric Duncan - the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. - died last week.

Duncan died Oct. 8, and the hospital said Sunday that one of his nurses had tested positive for Ebola. She is hospitalized and was listed Tuesday in good condition. On Wednesday, Texas health officials announced that a preliminary test indicated a second, unidentified health care worker at the hospital had been infected with the disease.

RoseAnn DeMoro, executive director of Nurses United, said the statement came from “several” and “a few” nurses, but she refused repeated inquiries to state how many. She said the organization had vetted the claims, and that the nurses cited were in a position to know what had occurred at the hospital. She refused to elaborate.

Among the nurses’ allegations was that the Ebola patient’s lab samples were allowed to travel through the hospital’s pneumatic tubes, opening the possibility of contaminating the specimen delivery system. The nurses also alleged that hazardous waste was allowed to pile up to the ceiling.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/15/nurses-union-ebola-patient-left-in-open-area-of-er-for-hours/

Currently 125 people are being monitored for Ebola.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Honest to Gawd at this point, travel bans should be enforced. Dallas should be quarantined and schools should be shut down, public places should be shut down.

If i was HMFIC, I'd shut Dallas down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom