Egypt on the brink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that as time goes by, more people will realize that it is not possible to keep borrowing and giving freebies both foreign and domestic. It is becoming a matter of our survival as a nation.

But it's such a great way to make yourself look good when you're a politician.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

Let Israel do what they need to do to protect themselves. As the governments around Israel collapse, Islamic Theocratic governments will be the norm - and I do not mean the moderate type - I mean the ones that intend to forcefully extend their theocratic idealism. It may be soon or it may take decades or even centuries, but it will happen.

Many of you probably strongly disagree. Just my opinion and my belief.

MD Froman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

We pay Israel to eat dung and not retaliate for voluminous abuses so as to not disturb the delicate regimes our oil companies do business with.If these nations turn into malevolent theocracies then why would we keep paying Israel to sit on their hands?

Jordanian soldiers shot Israeli gradeschool kids on a field trip across the Jordan river on the Israeli side.Jordan (a proven violent enemy and invader that used to occupy Jerusalem) should have been up to their Kafiyeh in Merkava tanks and Jewish teenagers wielding rifles but Condi said "No Way".

A young IDF conscript was kidnapped by Hezbollah and Israel was obliged to beg and plead and offer to release convicted child murderers like Samir Kuntar to get him back in a deal setup by the US and they got crawfished and waited several years under the threat of being bombarded by 10,000 newly delivered Iranian rockets before they took action in 2006.

Enough of paying Israel to play paddy cake to keep the oil flowing. If these places go nuts, install rabid terrorist animals as their government and lockup the Suez Canal we can demand that our well paid errand boy(Israel) put their dukes up and open that damned canal again!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let Israel do what they need to do to protect themselves.
Many of you probably strongly disagree. Just my opinion and my belief.

I disagree that we have any control over Israel. They have the biggest lobby in DC and AFAIK they call the shots, not the other way around.
At times, it is convenient to pretend that they do it because we asked them to, it takes the pressure off them to retaliate and escalate a bad situation.
I remember then Secretary of State Christopher going there and begging them to stop selling our top secret technology to the Chinese and for all practical purposes they gave him the birdie.

MD Froman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree that we have any control over Israel. They have the biggest lobby in DC and AFAIK they call the shots, not the other way around.
At times, it is convenient to pretend that they do it because we asked them to, it takes the pressure off them to retaliate and escalate a bad situation.
I remember then Secretary of State Christopher going there and begging them to stop selling our top secret technology to the Chinese and for all practical purposes they gave him the birdie.

The NRA and AARP dwarf AIPAC in dollars and lobbyists.If they control US Foreign policy then Old People with Guns are the sole authors of US Domestic policy :scratch:

Facts:

2 of the last 3 Israeli PMs were chosen by the US State dept

Colin Powell and Condi Rice called the shots on Israel's foreign,domestic and defense policies until Netanyahu replaced Olmert in 2009 beating out the US State Dept darling Tzipi Livini.The flipping Uncle Sugar(and his money) the bird has only begun as Netanyahu's 1996 platform of privatization and ending Israel's dependence on US aid in deference to it's own interests was interrupted in it's infancy by what many argue was a CIA frameup. While controversial enough to call for an emergency election it was disproven in court shortly afterwards but they derailed Netanyahu's reforms long enough to get their puppet in there.

KBR/Halliburton owns Israel's largest bank. The average Israeli owes 4x their annual income to US Owned Banks in the form of consumer credit and exorbitant loans to purchase very modest apartments. Israel is a nation where PHD's make $10 per hour working for American owned companies to pay mortgages to American owned banks.

Israel's arms industry was nearly bankrupt from their commitments to buy US weapons and equipment in lieu of their own.Israel exports its best technology to the USA at a discount rate(UAVs, targeting systems,MLRS launchers, armor upgrades for US Tanks) to stay in business but it's government can't afford to buy 20,000 Israeli made rifles for the IDF. China was an approved customer by the Clinton Administration for 8 years and telling them they can't sell to the Chicom now is essentially telling them to dump 1/3 of their revenues down the drain.Israel is a creator of technology and the US biggest beef is Israel's Raphael Corporation is selling the same Israeli invented technology to China that it sells to the United States.

By the way, back in 1996 Bill Clinton being faced with a willfully independent Netanyahu during his first term as PM finally "hit the wall" when Netanyahu blocked the purchase of Israel's Bank Leumi and immediately sent James Carville to hand pick a puppet replacement named Ehud Barak.Carville acted officially as a campaign adviser and essentially pulled Ehud Barak out a civil service job and turned him into the PM of Israel in 30 days.

Who is in charge here?

These sorts of intrigues were happening in Egypt as well and it was a perfect opportunity for the Muslim Brotherhood to foment enough dissent to destabilize the ruling regime and the rest is happening right before our eyes.

sigsilly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
North of the Red River, South of the Cimarron
Neither Israel or Egypt is our friend. We pay them to be friendly.
Netanyahu hates the Islamic terrorists. His brother, the commander of the force, was the only one killed in the Entebbe raid.
If the Moslem Brotherhood gets their man installed over Mubarak, the S will HTF soon in the Middle East.
I fully expect Israel to start throwing nukes into Iran and maybe even Saudi Arabia within the next couple of years.
Especially with Netanyahu at the helm.

MD Froman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Netanyahu hates the Islamic terrorists. His brother, the commander of the force, was the only one killed in the Entebbe raid.
If the Moslem Brotherhood gets their man installed over Mubarak, the S will HTF soon in the Middle East.
I fully expect Israel to start throwing nukes into Iran and maybe even Saudi Arabia within the next couple of years.
Especially with Netanyahu at the helm.

With Russia being Iran's ally and providing them with their nuclear technology doesn't that sound just a little too much like the biblical Apocalypse?

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that the U.S. has facilitated or encouraged the chaos in Egypt?? From now on, I'm going to type my sarcasm in green.

America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising
(Please tell me this isn't true?)

The American government secretly backed leading figures behind the Egyptian uprising who have been planning “regime change” for the past three years, The Daily Telegraph has learned.
The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

The secret document in full

He has already been arrested by Egyptian security in connection with the demonstrations and his identity is being protected by The Daily Telegraph.

The crisis in Egypt follows the toppling of Tunisian president Zine al-Abedine Ben Ali, who fled the country after widespread protests forced him from office.

Related Articles

President Mubarak sacks cabinet but refuses to step down
28 Jan 2011
Britons warned against travel to Egypt
28 Jan 2011
Clinton expresses 'deep concern' about use of violence
28 Jan 2011
Protesters defy night-time curfew in Egypt
28 Jan 2011
Egypt needs reform, not revolution
28 Jan 2011
Peter Oborne: Egypt crisis is none of our business
28 Jan 2011
The disclosures, contained in previously secret US diplomatic dispatches released by the WikiLeaks website, show American officials pressed the Egyptian government to release other dissidents who had been detained by the police.

Mr Mubarak, facing the biggest challenge to his authority in his 31 years in power, ordered the army on to the streets of Cairo yesterday as rioting erupted across Egypt.

Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets in open defiance of a curfew. An explosion rocked the centre of Cairo as thousands defied orders to return to their homes. As the violence escalated, flames could be seen near the headquarters of the governing National Democratic Party.

Police fired rubber bullets and used tear gas and water cannon in an attempt to disperse the crowds.

At least five people were killed in Cairo alone yesterday and 870 injured, several with bullet wounds. Mohamed ElBaradei, the pro-reform leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner, was placed under house arrest after returning to Egypt to join the dissidents. Riots also took place in Suez, Alexandria and other major cities across the country.

William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, urged the Egyptian government to heed the “legitimate demands of protesters”. Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, said she was “deeply concerned about the use of force” to quell the protests.

In an interview for the American news channel CNN, to be broadcast tomorrow, David Cameron said: “I think what we need is reform in Egypt. I mean, we support reform and progress in the greater strengthening of the democracy and civil rights and the rule of law.”

The US government has previously been a supporter of Mr Mubarak’s regime. But the leaked documents show the extent to which America was offering support to pro-democracy activists in Egypt while publicly praising Mr Mubarak as an important ally in the Middle East.

In a secret diplomatic dispatch, sent on December 30 2008, Margaret Scobey, the US Ambassador to Cairo, recorded that opposition groups had allegedly drawn up secret plans for “regime change” to take place before elections, scheduled for September this year.

The memo, which Ambassador Scobey sent to the US Secretary of State in Washington DC, was marked “confidential” and headed: “April 6 activist on his US visit and regime change in Egypt.”

It said the activist claimed “several opposition forces” had “agreed to support an unwritten plan for a transition to a parliamentary democracy, involving a weakened presidency and an empowered prime minister and parliament, before the scheduled 2011 presidential elections”. The embassy’s source said the plan was “so sensitive it cannot be written down”.

Ambassador Scobey questioned whether such an “unrealistic” plot could work, or ever even existed. However, the documents showed that the activist had been approached by US diplomats and received extensive support for his pro-democracy campaign from officials in Washington. The embassy helped the campaigner attend a “summit” for youth activists in New York, which was organised by the US State Department.

Cairo embassy officials warned Washington that the activist’s identity must be kept secret because he could face “retribution” when he returned to Egypt. He had already allegedly been tortured for three days by Egyptian state security after he was arrested for taking part in a protest some years earlier.

The protests in Egypt are being driven by the April 6 youth movement, a group on Facebook that has attracted mainly young and educated members opposed to Mr Mubarak. The group has about 70,000 members and uses social networking sites to orchestrate protests and report on their activities.

The documents released by WikiLeaks reveal US Embassy officials were in regular contact with the activist throughout 2008 and 2009, considering him one of their most reliable sources for information about human rights abuses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egyp...

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

According to former secretary of state Kissinger, persons have friends, nations have interests. As long as we have mutual interests we are "friends". No feelings.
One has to look at history to see how relationships change.
The US fought the Germans and was ally of the Japanese in WWI, enemy of both during WWII and best buddies after the war. We supported Chang against Mao, later Formosa against China, China killed large numbers of Americans in Korea and by proxy in Vietnam, to become our greatest trade "partner" and the Clintons' campaign contributors throwing large sums of money their way with supposedly no quid pro quo.
The whole Islamic world is at a boiling point right now and I don't think it is possible to predict outcomes.
Sometime ago a nut fired a single bullet that killed a nobody named archduke Ferdinand. That single act brought us WWI, WWII, communism, Korea, Vietnam etc. changing history for ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom