Employers can forbid guns, a judge rules, issues an injunction against OK law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say what you will about bylaws of corperations, No Lawsuit will come of this by the fired employees.. didn't happen several years ago and will not happen now. You can write that down.

Hub

Doesn't matter whether the former employees file suit or not. The grounds to file suit exist. Weyerhauser broke the law and their employees suffered as a result of Weyerhauser enforcing said unlawful bylaw.

Woody

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The injunction that was granted after the law was passed was spear-headed by ConocoPhillips. Having worked on their property in Ponca City and Bartlesville, I know why they filed and were initially granted the injunction which prevented enforcing the law.
The Ponco City facility has no public parking. You must be signed in at a Guard station at the front gate. Their office buildings, labs, refining, and storage facilities are completely controlled access including employee parking.
The Bartlesville facilities are slightly different. They have a research facility that is completely controlled access with NO employee vehicles within the gates. However, their main business offices are in downtown Bartlesville surrounded by public sidewalks and streets.
Having personal knowledge of their security layouts, their security plan is very thorough and they are protecting thier facilities and employees from theft of propietary information AND for Homeland Security reasons. I still believe strongly in and completely support not only the 2nd Amendment but the CCL and the rights of those who abide by Oklahoma law regarding the transportation and storage of firearms in the personal vehicles while at work.
Many corporations have high security areas but they does not include employees private transportation, IMO, and now confirmed by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

I do work at the Ponca City complex. Right now it doesn't effect me, personally, as I haven't yet received my CCW (in process). I will be looking for some type of official annoucement from the company on this subject. What everyone has to remember, with big companies like ConocoPhillips, unless you are union you are an "at will employee". The company at any time can say they no longer need your services. So even if you are within the law and they don't like it, they will find a way to rectify the PROBLEM THEY SEE. This can also include union employees if they want you gone enough. If you want to sue, go ahead. See if you can outlast a company that made BILLIONS in profit last year. Some will say, just quit and work for someone that is gun friendly. Well, along with BILLIONS in profit come very well paying jobs. Nothing else here comes close and maybe I don't want to try and sell my house and move. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and it's getting more and more difficult to fight the young people for jobs. SO, I'll make the best of a less than perfect situation. If the company is dead set against weapons on company property and I'm adamant about having my pistol in my vehicle, I'll just park off company property. Then I'll bug the police department to provide extra patrol and tell the city commission the company is being less of a corporate citizen than they could be.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This law is in Title 21, Crimes and Punishments. I would think you would simply refer the violation to the local District Attorney.

You wouldn't get fired under this law. The company would find something else, totally unrelated, to let you go on. Even to just say they "no longer need your services".

BSwift

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do work at the Ponca City complex. Right now it doesn't effect me, personally, as I haven't yet received my CCW (in process). I will be looking for some type of official annoucement from the company on this subject. What everyone has to remember, with big companies like ConocoPhillips, unless you are union you are an "at will employee". The company at any time can say they no longer need your services. So even if you are within the law and they don't like it, they will find a way to rectify the PROBLEM THEY SEE. This can also include union employees if they want you gone enough. If you want to sue, go ahead. See if you can outlast a company that made BILLIONS in profit last year. Some will say, just quit and work for someone that is gun friendly. Well, along with BILLIONS in profit come very well paying jobs. Nothing else here comes close and maybe I don't want to try and sell my house and move. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and it's getting more and more difficult to fight the young people for jobs. SO, I'll make the best of a less than perfect situation. If the company is dead set against weapons on company property and I'm adamant about having my pistol in my vehicle, I'll just park off company property. Then I'll bug the police department to provide extra patrol and tell the city commission the company is being less of a corporate citizen than they could be.

Unfortunately, your situation is not unique. The corporate policy is not as much the issue as the B'turds that are anti gun/hunting that work along side you. Like with many situations, if you don't draw attention to yourself, most often no one will no what you have in your vehicle. General BS'ing around the water cooler though might reveal to the anti's the possibility that you are violating the company's policy, thus leading to an unwarrented search(lawful on company property). As much as I am proud of many organizations and causes that I support, window stickers, bumper stickers, ball caps, etc... showing your support will give notice to those who disapprove that you "partake" in activities they don't like. Freedom of speech is a two way street.
Advertising a NRA sticker in your truck or car window lets anyone know that you support the 2nd amendment including those that oppose it and thieves to boot. Sometimes it is better to be silent but not to a point that you cannot be yourself.
Victor, I hope you survive their downsizing. ConocoPhillips is a great place to work and while I was providing services there, I made plenty of friends and met some fine people.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your situation is not unique. The corporate policy is not as much the issue as the B'turds that are anti gun/hunting that work along side you. Like with many situations, if you don't draw attention to yourself, most often no one will no what you have in your vehicle. General BS'ing around the water cooler though might reveal to the anti's the possibility that you are violating the company's policy, thus leading to an unwarrented search(lawful on company property). As much as I am proud of many organizations and causes that I support, window stickers, bumper stickers, ball caps, etc... showing your support will give notice to those who disapprove that you "partake" in activities they don't like. Freedom of speech is a two way street.
Advertising a NRA sticker in your truck or car window lets anyone know that you support the 2nd amendment including those that oppose it and thieves to boot. Sometimes it is better to be silent but not to a point that you cannot be yourself.
Victor, I hope you survive their downsizing. ConocoPhillips is a great place to work and while I was providing services there, I made plenty of friends and met some fine people.

Thanks!

Working for Phillips is not near as much fun as it was working for Conoco. Conoco only exists in name now. Phillips is in full control and it shows. As far as surviving the downsizing, I've already been told my position is going away. I just have to wait to see if something else comes up. Try to keep my nose clean, don't cause waves, and don't give them an excuse to boot me out the gate even if I am within the law.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
okay and it says nothing about having to have a CCW in order to have a gun in your vehicle at work. I think fox 23 news got that wrong because they said you had to have a CCW

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
okay and it says nothing about having to have a CCW in order to have a gun in your vehicle at work. I think fox 23 news got that wrong because they said you had to have a CCW

Yes Fox news did say that.
I didn't read anything in the print of the law that required you to have a CWL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom