Employers can forbid guns, a judge rules, issues an injunction against OK law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they would. Please remember that the firearm must be stored or transported in accordance with state law. My company went as far as to try ban ammo in vehicles since they couldnt ban guns.

Fishhooks

New to the site!
Reaction score
Well, today sucked.

Around 11:15, I was asked to meet with the director of HR to discuss a training program for my department. My boss walks with me down the hall and we discuss basketball. My M&P 9mm comfortably rests in its Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe, just as it always does. Every day. All day.

I sit in the office and she opens with, "Someone came to us today with a concern that you are carrying a firearm."

Shocked. Granted, my mistake. My shirt must have gotten hung on the grip, I assume.

"I always carry a firearm," I said. Silence...

Then they started discussing termination. I pulled out my concealed carry permit and explained to them that I am a military veteran. I've been vetted by the FBI, OSBI, and Sheriff's Office. I'm a competent, experienced, and discrete gun owner. I carry a gun so as to protect myself, my family, and my associates from any danger that might arise.

I explained to them that the Constitution has a nifty little section called The Bill of Rights. Within it, there is a right to keep and BEAR arms as well as protection from unreasonable search.

I may as well have been talking to gnats.

I explained to them that another card in my wallet was given to me by a lawyer who specializes in self defense cases. It has his phone number on it.

The firing discussion stopped. They suspended me.

For 45 minutes.

When I returned to work, they had written a new policy, banning firearms on the property and allowing the company to search my person for firearms. I signed it, as I had no choice.

Then, my rant continued. I explained to the dullards how this action does not serve to make the workplace safer, but rather the opposite. I am not a gun nut. I have one pistol and that's it. I am trained and experienced. I am not an idiot.

I told her this action just takes away options and reduces us all to victims. She still didn't get it.

I stood, turned, and asked. "How can a company that has the flag flying out front and a four foot tall picture of a bald eagle in the foyer blatantly disregard two amendments from the Bill of Rights?"

I got no answer.

I went back to work, completely defenseless. Invaded. Infringed upon. One of the sheep. A weapon locked in my car, 500 feet away.

I'm going to start looking for a new job.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishhooks,

You do know that a business is private property just like your house. Being private property they can choose if you carry a gun or not. Illegal search and seizure is a bit funny on private property. I hope you do find a job that lets you carry if that is what you really want.

Funny thing is my job (a version of security) we have people threatened on a daily basis about being fired if they do not hurry up finish all the CLEET requirements and get a gun.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fish: Sucks how that went down. At least you still have a job, more restrictions or not. Todays job market is not one that is where I would choose to be after being let go from your most recent employer.

Remember the SDA has the exception that doesn't infringe on the property owners decision to ban firearms. You need to make the decision if you are going to live with it or work on contesting the decision. In todays time most employers are going to lean towards the side we typically don't agree with. It would be nice if you could do a job search based on firearm policies.

Looks like it might be time to invest in a M&P 9mm (Compact) and not a (Full size).

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish everyone would say who they work for.
Just curious on the ones that don't follow the law.

I work at Bancfirst at the Cash vault, and I asked them about the

"employee no concealed weapons on bank property"

they got back to me with

"I don't see a problem with keeping it in your locked vehicle".

I provided these pieces of material

http://www.jacksonlewis.com/legalupdates/article.cfm?aid=1648

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2007_2_.pdf

http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438588

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am missing the point on some of these sitautions then. Having your gun in your car in the parking lot is one thing, want to carry while inside the business is another thing.

Most employers will not allow you to carry while inside of the business, way too much liability for a large lawsuit in the event of a situation unfolding and you try to become the hero to only shoot a innocent person or overreact to a situation and either draw your weapon or shoot someone.

Not saying anyone would, but the liability of the possibility is still there in the back of the employers mind.

We have armed security officers here at my job and even with that we as regular employees are not allowed to carry while inside any of our buildings. Most all of our security officers are either retired LEO or active LEO working part time. The head of our security department is a ex chief of police and even with that we at one point were not allowed to even have weapons in our cars, but now we are cleared to stow them in our cars but not able to carry them into the buildings.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fish, did your company have a clearly defined no weapons at work policy before they took issue with you carrying?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I explained to them that another card in my wallet was given to me by a lawyer who specializes in self defense cases. It has his phone number on it.

The firing discussion stopped. They suspended me.

For 45 minutes.

When I returned to work, they had written a new policy, banning firearms on the property and allowing the company to search my person for firearms. I signed it, as I had no choice.

SMS it sounds as though they did not have a no weapons policy, and only instituted one in response to a complaint by another employee.

Sounds like when he presented his attorneys number they realized they weren't going to be able to fire him for carrying a gun if he fought it since they did not at the time have a no firearms policy.

That sucks, concealed is concealed and I woulda kept my mouth shut and not admitted to it personally, at least not until I had been directly asked especially if I was familiar with employee policies and knew that no policy on wepons existed.

I wonder if the new section of title 21 barring employers from asking about gun ownership might have applied in fishhooks circumstance?

Latest posts

Top Bottom