Ever try to catch a large catfish on a kiddy pole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son wanted to go fishing last night(3 years old). He wanted to catch a whale.

Using the 5' kiddy pole baited with hotdogs we pulled in a couple 10" catfish. when we were running out of light something took the bait and started running. I had to take the pole so he wouldn't end up in the water. Kind of hard to catch a strong fish on a pole that you can't find the control to tighten up the drag. I finally gave up and just used my thumb to hold the line to the rod. After 2 hours(read maybe a minute) or so we finally landed the whale.

The look on my son's face was priceless. He was so excited. Of course he had to be coaxed into touching the fish.

I can't wait for more whale fishing expeditions with him. Hopefully he will master setting the hook and pulling in his own fish soon. I'll have to get pics from my Step-Mom later to post.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fish was around 20-24" long. probably 3-4 pounds. I'd like to say more but they always get smaller when they leave the water.

I just like how it took the hook and ran.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a memory that will last a lifetime! I remember wading in a lake with a HS friend while we were fishing for crappie, and he asked me the location of a submerged boulder I'd been standing on for a while. I extended the tip of my fishing pole into the water to probe for the rock, and voila - I had a huge crappie on the line. Talk about a surprise :D

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast. I would have loved to seen his face. You two will remember that forever. Great job on getting him out there and taking the time to show him the outdoors!!!!! I have more fun fishing/hunting with kids than anything else. Those smiles seem to last forever.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a lot of fun,,,,,,enjoy your son. I remember when mine caught a big drum fish. he thought he had a shark. lmao

Latest posts

Top Bottom