Expensive vs cheap game cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrich3413

New to the site!
Reaction score
The property that I help manage is about two hours away from me so cameras are very important for us in order to track our progress. Over the years I've experimented with different brands/price ranges on game cameras. It seems even the expensive ones crap out after a couple of seasons. I need to purchase 3 or 4 new ones this year. Has anyone had any luck with the durability of a specific brand or camera? I know the picture quality is a factor but if I'm replacing my cameras every two years, then it seems to make sense to go cheap... I am on a budget like every on else. I've got a couple of Bushnell's that I bought last year that seems to be working better than anything before.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bushnell definitely seems to produce solid cameras. I have a Moultrie m880 and 2 cheap ($50) spy points. The Moultrie consistently catches more deer on camera with better range and night pictures.

I think the three most important things on cameras is that they use AA batteries, their trigger speed and range of the sensor.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reconyx are worth the money. Get the security box and a padlock. The cable locks can be cut with a hatchet. Not that the other way can't be defeated, but it's unlikely to by something someone has on them when they encounter your camera.

I've had several Reconyx for years. They will take over 10,000 pics on one set of lithium AA's. Their detection circuit is amazing. I've tried several cameras side by side and the Reconyx consistently got more and better pictures of game. The other cameras wouldn't go off at all, or would catch a blurry pic of a deer's butt while the Reconyx would get 3 clear pictures of the entire deer.

I am interested in trying the new Bushnell Aggressor No Glow this year, though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the stealth cam. Still have one of the 35mm models that works, but it's just a relic now.
The new no glow models with 10 megapixel resolution gives great pics with long battery life and come with three pre programmed functions plus one that can be customized.
I use a couple here at the house for security. Batteries last for months taking a couple thousand pics a month. Set to take 3 pics per occurrence.
We live in the country. Amazing how many different critters use our yard.
The new models have 1/2 second trigger speed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Over the years I have owned a bunch and my experience can be summed up by saying if you can buy hem at Walmart, Atwoods, bass pro etc the cameras suck. Sure they take nice pics when they work but their lifespan is limited. All the good ones I have owned have come from specialty cam online shops . Usually in the $100-200 range. Brands such as hco and covert have been good. Bought a browning last year as their reviews have been solid.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At our lease we have 3 Wildgame Innovations 7x blade (or something like that). Bought a couple years ago from Academy for around $60. No problems so far.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a ton of cameras. In general I've found the M series moultries to be the best. I've had problems with primos bushnell stealth cam hunten wild game innovations. Keep wanting to try reconyx but can't bring myself to shell out that type of money

Latest posts

Top Bottom