Favorite Large Caliber Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jango8753

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is your favorite large caliber (we'll say over a .308/.30-06)?
for multipurpose in anything from large game, long range target, ease of reloading/availability, even for just to feel a big gun kick?

thoughts based on popular calibers ive looked at are anywhere from .300 win mag, 45-70, .338lapua, 375H&H mag... ect, basically if you only got one large caliber to hunt the world and or shoot long range matches, what would it be?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really enjoy the 45-70. There's a reason they are still building them.

Also enjoy 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin, & 500 S&W in rifles for the big thud effect.

But hey I'm weird.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7stw 300 win mag and 378 weatherby. If I could only have one in North America it would be the stw if I could only have one in Africa it would be the 378 weatherby. Loaded with the 270 gr barnes tsx and barnes solids.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I love the Savage Weather Warrior 116 FCSS .30-06 for anything in north America for it's exceptional accuracy out of the box and price, basically the best most accurate rifle made under $1000. So by your criteria my choice for something that could hunt worldwide and be used for long range shooting I would choose the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .338 Lapua Magnum or the Savage 116 FCSS in .338 Win mag. I would love to own a .375 H&H just for the historical aspect of the caliber, anything bigger would probably be just too much recoil to actually enjoy.

Now if we remove the long range requirement then I'll always go with my .50 Beowulf. Definitely enough power to drop anything walking the face of the earth with a big nasty 350 grain solid brass Spitzer inside 150 yards. Unfortunately, being an AR, it can't be used for hunting in most countries overseas but I live here and couldn't afford an African safari if I wanted to so no problem.

Between my Savage .30-06 and my .50 Beowulf there's nothing on this continent that I can't hunt. Plus I have my .264LBC/6.5 Grendel for long range fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom