Favorite Large Caliber Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like everything about the 7mm win mag......has taken everything from yotes-elk with nare an issue.
2nd with a big vote for the 7 WSM. Have 2 of then (my middle son loves his also) best investment ever made in 1000 yard gun for $400 in model 70 mid 2000's pre '64 quality reproduction of sorts super shadow flavor. Both shoot hole in hole @100 yds with factory Win supreme ovepacked ammo in XP2 & sight in with never more than 6 rounds. XP3, XP4 heavier projectiles avail for large thick skinned game. We just never see temp or humidity related accuracy variances like some slower powder magnum loads. Take a look at how fast and flat the charts are for it. There really is not a rifle one better with its range of bullet weights available with that energy way out there at under 6.5 lbs for us smaller framed gentlemen. Just phenominal consistency (like our reloads are doing for pistol .380 acp, 9 para & 10mm with 2moa with no rest @ 100 yds) from factory stuff is almost rare. Know a few hunters who use it as all around safari rifle and in AK. Yes, it will freaking hurt you bad in your not holding it right and stiff. Know a national match level shooter who worked for Microsoft who supported a business level product by himself making tons of money who liked best the 7mm Rem Mag and reloaded only & was big Texas game hunter until the Win mod 70 came out and Savage 7WSM (you can order one and wait for them to build it). He recommended of course the Win Mod 70 for me when I asked as its was far cheaper and excellent quality. Now trying to get a new one is different issue Win sort of makes them in FN mil factory and price has tripled depending on features and stock. My biggest complaint is minor but its very hard to find a pair of rings and scope under a grand that can handle the recoil. Also forgot about the black eyes from the scope. Did I mention the sore shoulder too. But that is the trade off for short action weight savings.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been partial to the 6.5x55 ever since I shot my first Swedish Mauser. Right behind is 7x57, .30-06 and 7.5x55. There are many similar cartridges, but I can speak to these from experience.
Gotta pay my respects to the 7.5x55 as I nearly bought them instead after a bit of research and even got some of that good Norma match mil spec ammo but the deer are too small here for that round it just wastes too much meat. Also the rifle is far to heavy for me being below average build. But if the Germans were afraid of it in WW2 then 'nuff said.

The balancing act I ended up with as far as rational was one wants a decent % amount of energy retained out at long range with minimal rise for close shots flat trajectory all energy expended within the large game prey so as to drop it and it never walks away. That rare combination in a light weight package I can carry all day long we found only with the 7WSM out the box without any fuss. But sure its possible with various amounts of tweaking with several caliburs out there. The long range target shooters are the ones with know how who I listen to. They tend to stay with around 6mm to 7mm projectile size range for stability, energy retention and decent windage issue resistance right near the 4k fps speed range which is 7WSM XP2 160gr (I think) right out the box.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my .338 win mag for 7 years and still have the original box of shells I bought for it. Would like to get some long range shooting in with it but it's sort of expensive unless you just shoot core-lokts.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it's gotta' be the ol' .50BMG! Without a doubt in mind it's the greatest large caliber for any rifle there is!
If I had to choose other ones besides that, it would probably be .338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For me it's gotta' be the ol' .50BMG! Without a doubt in mind it's the greatest large caliber for any rifle there is!
If I had to choose other ones besides that, it would probably be .338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag.

That's too large.......doesn't count :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom