FBI-NICS Prepping For UBC's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So a seller could call in a BG check themselves rather than going through an FFL?

No, a seller would have to go through an FFL to do the check. This will result in the transaction being recorded on a 4473, and in the FFL dealer's log book which would complete the de facto registry of all "legal" firearms.

Woody

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is this any different than what is available now. I sold a gun that I had suspicions regarding the buyer. I did the transaction through an FFL to be on the safe side.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I smell the faint whiff of scam odor in what the OP received. I wonder if he also gets e-mail from various Nigerian princes who need assistance from him claiming a valuable inheritance???

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, a seller would have to go through an FFL to do the check. This will result in the transaction being recorded on a 4473, and in the FFL dealer's log book which would complete the de facto registry of all "legal" firearms.

Woody
That's not what your OP said!

Twice, you used the word allow, not require.

?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbes,

Bigfug's question asked if a seller could do a NICS check without an FFL involved. The answer is "no." If a private seller wishes to do a background check on whomever he is selling his gun to, he will have to go through an FFL. Unless federal law is passed requiring UBCs, a background check is not required for a private sale where state law does not require it. After September 16, 2015, the FBI-NICS will allow background checks for private sales in states where it is not required by state law, but the checks would still have to be done through an FFL.

Does that help your understanding?

Woody

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes,

Bigfug's question asked if a seller could do a NICS check without an FFL involved. The answer is "no." If a private seller wishes to do a background check on whomever he is selling his gun to, he will have to go through an FFL. Unless federal law is passed requiring UBCs, a background check is not required for a private sale where state law does not require it. After September 16, 2015, the FBI-NICS will allow background checks for private sales in states where it is not required by state law, but the checks would still have to be done through an FFL.

Does that help your understanding?

Woody
Yes, thank you. That clears that up.

Now, how is that different than today or yesterday?

Latest posts

Top Bottom