Feral hogs on the deer lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son & I have a deer lease near Perry that we have used about 7 years. My son placed a cell phone-linked game camera this year which has resulted in our first sighting of feral hogs on this property. My question is how best to deal with these when one gets in range. Not particularly interested in processing for meat, just dealing with the problem. I guess the coyotes & buzzards have to eat but I don’t want to adversely affect the deer hunting, either. The bonus is the farmer says it’s worth a 6-pack per pig to him to be rid of them.

How about it, wise ones of OSA?

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there are very many, you won't be able to manage their numbers by shooting them. If there is cover, they'll hit it after the first shot. Best I've ever been able to get is 3 with a semi auto. It's fairly wooded where I hunt. If you are hunting big open fields, you might be able to do better. A pig trap is the best way to reduce their numbers. The large farm that adjoins my lease trapped almost 300 in one year. Before that, we'd see hogs almost every time when we were deer hunting. We still see some but it's sporadic.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend hunts hogs in the off season due to always having his feeder going all year around.

When he shoots a hog, he drags it about 25 yards from the feeder and cups open the hogs. The coyotes will eat it overnight. They sometimes tear it apart and drag away the hog never to be seen again. During the day, the vultures pick at it all day.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hear of hogs. I think of all the bacon I can eat.. Ive yet to see evidence of hogs on any of my parcels, but a neighbor has asked permission to cross over to dispatch any he sees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom