Feral Pig/Hog Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rifle for Feral Pigs/Hogs

• Colt

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • BCM

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Daniel Defense

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of them, you need more cartridge to reliably take hogs, .243 Winchester should be minimum.
Thats BS. hell, a well placed .22 will do it but that just wouldnt be any fun. .223 is very common in hog killing. Getting through the front shoulder on larger hogs might present issues with this round but again, shot placement is the key. A neck shot negates the issue of shoulder bone.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Granted I've only killed three hogs in my day, two with a .280 and one with a .350 Rem Mag, all three were shot between the ear and the shoulder. All three dropped where they stood. Shot location was advised by a friend who has killed dozens of them with a .223 with handloaded 60gr partitions. His comment was the area between the ear and shoulder is almost the same size area as that behind a hogs shoulder, minus the plate. He has a good point.

[Broken External Image]

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats BS. hell, a well placed .22 will do it but that just wouldnt be any fun. .223 is very common in hog killing. Getting through the front shoulder on larger hogs might present issues with this round but again, shot placement is the key. A neck shot negates the issue of shoulder bone.
You cant guarantee placement. I dont care how good you are, how many medals you have won, you cant guarantee placement. So give yourself some leeway.

If you dont want the hog to run away and die a painful death do it your way. If you want to at least to be an ethical, responsible hunter, do it my way. Up to you.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You cant guarantee placement. I dont care how good you are, how many medals you have won, you cant guarantee placement. So give yourself some leeway.

If you dont want the hog to run away and die a painful death do it your way. If you want to at least to be an ethical, responsible hunter, do it my way. Up to you.

LOL. And who appointed you almighty ruler of what is ethical and what isn't? Don't answer unless you are high enough up in wildlife management to make a legal change; otherwise we don't care: you're just running your mouth on your opinion.

Besides, you're wrong anyways. .50 BMG is the minimum. Anything less than pink mist on impact is unethical. If you don't want the hog to run away and die a painful death do it your way. If you want to at least to be an ethical, responsible hunter, do it my way. Up to you.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The neck shot is my favorite because if you miss high or low, you simply miss. If you miss to either left or right, you get a head shot or a heart/lung shot. If you hit anywhere near the spinal cord the shock zone will destroy the spinal cord, thus instant kill. I have killed many deer this way and it simply works best for me. I dont like trailing a deer that runs 100 yards after a heart/lung shot, same with a pig.
Seems like a no brainer actually.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Besides, you're wrong anyways. .50 BMG is the minimum. Anything less than pink mist on impact is unethical. If you don't want the hog to run away and die a painful death do it your way. If you want to at least to be an ethical, responsible hunter, do it my way. Up to you.

That's funny!

I have a OKCPD friend that hunts hogs with a curved knife he made just for that. He's a little kooky, but I like him. Slit the throat. Only ethical way to do it. Clean kill. Kinda bloody, but clean.

Grow some balls, OP. Hunt your next pig with a pig sticker. I'm just gonna use my Saiga 308. It's not that I have small balls. It's just really cold in here.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 45-70 but it can be brutal to shoot and makes follow ups a b...well a pain. I have a CETME .308 that is going next time and I think it should be about perfect. The guys recommending the Saiga in .308 are dead on as well. If you get in a pinch, the 5.56 can be a little light. I shot a pig at point blank range once with a .357 mag w/158 grains and killed it dead, the problem was the big hog did not know he was dead yet and chased me up a tree!!! Go big and be safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom