Finding prairie dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not sure as it pertains to WMA’s.
All of my shooting takes place on private land.
I would assume that unless stated, it’s fair game; however, a call to a game warden in Beaver county would be next step.
Yeah, called and left a message. I’ve had terrible luck getting in touch with biologists and wardens, actually, I have yet to have one call me back. Even after calling and leaving a message to report poaching. The lady I got ahold of in the office/headquarters via email was more than helpful though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are quite a few prairie dogs on the south side of beaver wma. Last time I was there it was illegal to shoot them. I’m thinking there was a sign up near the dog town that said it was illegal. I don’t know of any public land you can shoot them.
Thanks for the info. I’ll try calling again today and see what happens. Was going to go scout it out this weekend for a trip at the end of the month. Wouldn’t mind spending the weekend going after jackrabbits and prairie dogs. Was going to go out to eufaula and try my luck with some big cats, but it seems that my tackle box has been stolen, and I don’t have $1k to replace it right now.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prairie dogs are just about the funnest thing in the world to pop at. We trapped a bunch and put a town in on our land back in the 2000's, a whole trench fenced quarter section. always had something to hunt and let anyone come shoot too for a little green. Sadly, when the 2010 drought hit, the prairie dogs dried up shortly after. Now we just have to ask neighbors and farmers to let us shoot around their livestock. Almost always within 150 yds, but shooting out to 600 off a bipod isn't out of the question. Never heard of bringing a shooting table on a hunt before, but never hunted outside of OK, TX, KS, or CO. Which reminds me, CO is a goldmine for prairie dogs and it's beautiful country to stalk.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah yes table, chairs, ice chest full of drinks and food, sand bags, several hundred rounds, multiple heavy guns. Friend had an umbrella for his table-didn't stop him for getting nasty sunburns. Set up on the edge of a town. Sit there all day. Never move.

One trip we set the tables up on a flat bed trailer and pulled it with the UTV. Only did that once. Learned if you wiggled while your partner was shooting, you could make him miss. Trailer was just not stable enough.

Tried AR's a couple of times 300 yards was pushing it for that gun, and then there were those magazines. Hard to find 5 and 10 rounders then. The 30's were way to long and had be set up high on bags for clearance. Even the 20 round would get in the way. There wasn't much in the way of after market stuff for AR's back then. We stuck to our Varmint weight Ruger 77's and Remington 700's and custom made single shots. That's when I started plying with Martini single shots.

I do have a heavyweight varmint barreled AR now that I would like to take out. Top gun in this picture. Second from top is HB 6.8SPC

www.fototime.com_80DBEF90E68A32E_standard.jpg

Just can't warm up to these guns. The top one is .223 and I have shot it at Gophers, Rock chucks and coyotes. Does a good job but it just doesn't appeal. I have never fired the other three, just can't warm up to this gun.

Here is a group fired with that gun at the top 100 yards.

www.fototime.com_830D18F12D9820F_standard.jpg

For serious long range work on prairie dogs I used a shortened 98 Mauser chambered in .219 Donaldson Wasp, Donnelly .750 muzzle diameter heavy Varmint barrel, and mounted in a prototype Simonson PUG stock. Yes that is a sleeved action. If you doped the wind, mirage and range correctly this was a good first shot, 400 yard kill gun. Made a number of 500 yard shoots with this gun, but you really have to concentrate. This gun weighs 17 pounds. but a 55 grain bullet reacts to any wind out that far.

www.fototime.com_03158E864947CEF_standard.jpg

Groups this gun will shoot.

www.fototime.com_5880F84BA7CA146_standard.jpg

After moving to Montana this gun got put away and not used much because the primary focus there was gophers. Would bring it out for Rock chucks or a occasional trip for prairie dogs. PD's were 200 miles away, gophers were out the back door.

The gophers are now 1500 miles away, to far for a weekend. I would like to find some PD's in OK.

I found my files with all my old contact info from Dahlhart, so I may call them up and see what they have for me.

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Miss shooting them myself. Shot a couple towns near Watonga for years and then poof it came to an end. Shot more than several calibers in rifle and pistols. Couple of favorites were a 75 gr handload in 240 Weatherby and a 110 gr RN in my deer gun 30.06. When you hit them just right a head would pop straight up in the air near 20 ft. On real windy days would shoot for great off-hand practice. But sitting under a big shade tree on a calm day with a 22-250 back then was king.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Added a picture...

www.fototime.com_830D18F12D9820F_standard.jpg

and inserted a word:

...this was a good first shot, 400 yard kill gun.

But sitting under a big shade tree on a calm day with a 22-250 back then was king.
Magna19, yep sure was. Found two 100 round MTM boxes of 22-250 last week unpacking a box, only a couple loaded rounds left in the one box. Label on the boxes date in the early 90's. It has been that long since I have shot that M-77. Some would say an old gun like that that hasn't been out of the gun safe for almost 30 years should be moved on. That gun is no closet Queen, it is tried and true Veteran of the varmint Wars. Honorable service now resting out the golden years. Lot of stories still to tell with that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom