Fire Starters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of fire starting devices do you have or have used? Seems like by design, they would all work but there are so many different ones (and prices) on the market I don't know which direction to go. I'm thinking of adding one to my hunting gear bag just incase I ever need to heat up a can of Spaghettios.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally I use a Bic or several. Cheap n plentiful. Lights in all types of weather.

Remember cave men built fire, no need to complicate the process. YMMV.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire is easy. Small dry tender first, then progessively larger wood. I have used the fire striker to make sparks. I really like 9 volt battery and steel wool. Cotton balls dabbed into vaseline work well. Fritos the corn chips work surprisingly well in a pinch.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these that I carry around. http://www.kodiakfirestarters.com/

My wife picked it up at one of the gun shows in OKC a couple years ago. The video demo with the water is no where near as bright as the in person demo that we saw as there was a lot more water involved. The in person demo was literally blinding like a camera flash right in front of your face. Since it sat in a drawer collecting dust I picked it up and tossed it in my pocket, figured the one time I will want/need it I had better have it with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make my own with sawdust and wax, they burn nice and slow. I light them with a bic ;-) I start fires in my fireplace with them. All of the other suggestions are great too. If you are just looking for a roughing it, a magnesium fire starter works pretty good and I also like Fire pistons here is a really good DIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyl8w16VbU&app=desktop

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When he was a kid he chunked our moms shoe rack into the power lines behind our house and burned the shoulder (50 yards wide) of I35 from Lindsey to Robinson in Norman. He has always been special.:comfort:

Latest posts

Top Bottom