Fire Starters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:rotflmao: OMG!! That is hysterical!!
It gets better.

Actually it was from Main, south past Lindsey. By which time it had jumped into the median. It was pretty windy that day.
I remember seeing the sparks and going back inside through the back door to ask my sis if the lights went out. She said they flickered, so I shrugged and headed back out. I was greeted by a wall of flame twice as high as the fence and the length of the back yard between the fence and highway.
I don't remember who called the fire department. Within 20 or 30 minutes news crews and every neighborhood kid was in my backyard. No one put the pieces together or found the offending shoe rack at that time.
Funniest part was when mom got home and said it was really strange how the fire stopped at our back fence. Umm... yeah, about that. I came clean, for once. The next day we were down at the firehouse and I explained the whole story to the chief. Nothing else was said about it after that.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was out side the fence area; probably getting into more trouble, when I found the rack. I promptly took it to the trash can.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot. The reason I threw the damn thing in the first place. I had been throwing it across the back yard at makeshift targets. I got bored with that and didnt want to walk the 20 yards to the trash can with it, so I decided to just chuck it over the fence.

The end

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It gets better.

Actually it was from Main, south past Lindsey. By which time it had jumped into the median. It was pretty windy that day.
I remember seeing the sparks and going back inside through the back door to ask my sis if the lights went out. She said they flickered, so I shrugged and headed back out. I was greeted by a wall of flame twice as high as the fence and the length of the back yard between the fence and highway.
I don't remember who called the fire department. Within 20 or 30 minutes news crews and every neighborhood kid was in my backyard. No one put the pieces together or found the offending shoe rack at that time.
Funniest part was when mom got home and said it was really strange how the fire stopped at our back fence. Umm... yeah, about that. I came clean, for once. The next day we were down at the firehouse and I explained the whole story to the chief. Nothing else was said about it after that.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was out side the fence area; probably getting into more trouble, when I found the rack. I promptly took it to the trash can.

Some people live boring lives, others make memories. Me n you have stuff in common.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyway, as to fire starters. It is more important that you have at least 2 and preferably 3 different methods to start a fire, than to have any specific type in my opinion. Im with Lurker on the bics, several of them. Then a fire steel with prepared tinder. I like Vaseline soaked cotton balls, but there are lots of options.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dryer lint/Vaseline.
I pack it in straws and melt the ends shut.
Agree with carrying at least a couple of methods...........bic lighters, parfin wax/cotton balls, etc etc

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Potassium permanganate and glycerin. The Germans supposedly used a mixture of potassium permanganate and other goodies to power the Me163 rocket plane. Another benefit is it's an antiseptic, copied from wiki, "As an oxidant, potassium permanganate can act as an antiseptic. For example, dilute solutions are used to treat canker sores (ulcers), disinfectant for the hands and treatment for mild pompholyx, dermatitis, and fungal infections of the hands or feet. Potassium permanganate is used extensively in the water treatment industry. It is used as a regeneration chemical to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water via a "Manganese Greensand" Filter. "Pot-Perm" is also obtainable at pool supply stores, is used additionally to treat waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect drinking water. It currently finds application in the control of nuisance organisms such as Zebra mussels in fresh water collection and treatment systems."

Latest posts

Top Bottom