Fire Starters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my bugout bag, I've got a Blastmatch. It came with some little fire starter ball things. I've never used them. I did use the blast match and some newspaper to build a fire in the wood stove last winter.

My little sister showed up one day with a handful of these. It's a neat idea, but it has a bit of a flaw. The top unscrews and has a "match stick" that holds a sort of a wick (looks like a little piece of cotton cloth). When screwed in, the stick stores in a reservoir that you're supposed to keep filled with lighter fluid (or something similar, anyway). On the outside of the reservoir is a striking surface that will spark when the tip of the match stick is drawn across it, and that catches the lighter fluid stored in the wick. You can start your fire, blow it out like a match, then put it away to re-use later. It's a neat idea, but the one my little sister gave me leaks, so it won't hold the lighter fluid. I keep it in my bag anyway because it's still a source of a spark.

I've also got 4 of these things, one of which lives in my bug out bag. I can hardly get a spark from them, but I keep one in the bag anyway. Along with that, I have a few matches that are supposed to be water and wind-proof and a small striking surface for them.

I also picked up a 3-pack of Fastfire Tinder from Dan's Depot one of the times they were doing a "pay the shipping and handling and we'll send it to you at no extra cost" deal. I haven't tried any of them, either, but they're in my bag. I also picked up a Mora knife from them on one of those deals.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two sources in my backpack when hunting in the mountains. One is the 9V battery and 0000 steel wool along with shredded wood and lint in ziplock bags. The other is a flint and steel with the same tinder. Once it gets going I have a chunk of the commercial wax block to get a steady fire for the bigger pieces. Those blocks will burn for a long time and dry out wet wood so it will burn.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the dryer lint or the cotton balls soaked in gasoline, I think real cotton (not synthetic) burns longer. YMMV.

I like Bic lighters, and for a back up -- if you can remember to keep fuel in it -- the pride of Bradford, Pennsylvania:

http://www.zippo.com

I'm not a smoker.
P.S. -- A few years ago, at the Wildlife Expo in Guthrie, they had a couple of fellows showing how to start a fire with a bow and a stick. It didn't look like fun to me.

ETA: I meant to say "soaked in VASELINE" (darn autocorrect).

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the dryer lint or the cotton balls soaked in gasoline, I think real cotton (not synthetic) burns longer. YMMV.

I like Bic lighters, and for a back up -- if you can remember to keep fuel in it -- the pride of Bradford, Pennsylvania:

http://www.zippo.com

I'm not a smoker.
P.S. -- A few years ago, at the Wildlife Expo in Guthrie, they had a couple of fellows showing how to start a fire with a bow and a stick. It didn't look like fun to me.

Starting a fire at 11,000 ft altitude at -20F opens up a new discussion about fire starting.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several of the blast matches securitysix linked. Also a few of the old rods you just strike against a knife. Also have the flint/magnesium block. I prefer the blast match or the flint/mag blocks to most methods. Also, always carry my own tender of 100% cotton balls or dryer lint, and Vaseline. Then have a lighter, and waterproof matches on top of all other methods I carry. I try to always have 3 methods of fire at least, but prefer 4.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an ad somewhere today that was interesting. It looked like a hair dryer, but it had a propane cylinder on it.

Auto ignition. So, it started the high velocity air flow then ignited the propane flame. Looked like it would work really great if one had room for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom